• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

Xtratuf Boots

Reaction score
Has anybody tried these for canoeing? They seem to be popular is Alaska and other cold wet places.
Any luck with fitting them under the seat when kneeling?

Attachments

• photo3961.jpeg
    photo3961.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 2
I used to wear them tripping and had no problem getting them under the seat. I also wear them for work (concrete) as do most of my co-workers and they are considered the most comfortable rubber boot out there and can be worn all day.

While they aren't my first choice for tripping I will definitely have a pair for paddling adventures in the future.

I just put mine in the garbage yesterday after 7 years of abuse, they use to be the best insulated rubber boots on the market, but they move the production to China a couple years ago and the Chinese version are not even close to be any good. Up here and in Alaska, that is what people wear almost all year around. In south east Alaska, our neighbours, they call them Juneau(Haines, Skagway) sneakers, they literally wear them every day!! And some friends told me that they are lucky to get a full year out of a pair since the move to china!! So unfortunately, I wouldn't buy a pair of these anymore!!

As for the fit under the seat, I wear a size 13+ boot and insulted, and never had a problem kneeling with my feet under the seat!!

No Title

I heard about the quality problems they had when they initially moved overseas. From more recent reviews it appears that they have improved their quality control.
Filson now features a version made for them. More expensive but a darker color that might matter to hunters or photographers.

Attachments

• photo3963.jpeg
    photo3963.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1
The go-to-boot for sea-kayaking for many Alaskans. Not too bulky, as many boots are. I never had a problem getting them into my kayak (size 13). If you can fit hiking boots or similar under your seat, I'd think these should fit as well.

I heard about the quality problems they had when they initially moved overseas. From more recent reviews it appears that they have improved their quality control.
Filson now features a version made for them. More expensive but a darker color that might matter to hunters or photographers.

Isn't it ironic, that the made in china boots be more expensive than the one that where once made in the USA... As for quality, I won't be the one testing them out. I'm sick of all the good Canadian or American companies moving there production over seas just so they can make more profits... GREED!

I am well aware of that too. But some are more ethical than others and some definitely do a way better job a quality control than others... Some also never been a made in USA brand. I think, w/o starting a debate, that if we all want to have a better economy, having our jobs stay here, we need to work towards helping companies that keep there production here!! Not easy that is for sure. :(

Has anybody tried these for canoeing? They seem to be popular is Alaska and other cold wet places.
Any luck with fitting them under the seat when kneeling?

I wore them for 28 yrs at work. The Steel toe variety. Not warm, but they held up pretty good on wet floors. Not a lot of traction.
And decent for comfort.

Jim

Oh yea, I wore out a pair every 90 day contract when I worked on a fishing boat out of Dutch Harbor AK haha

These days I take a pair of 'Bogs' cold weather tripping. They are waterproof and neoprene lined. Just the right amount of insulation for cold water boat rigging. The are also light and flexable.

Last edited:
Here is a link to a little story in the Fairbanks Daily News Miner, written by Kris Capps, who by the way, teaches canoeing and kayaking at the Alaska Becoming A Outdoor Woman Camp, out at Birch Lake every summer.

Back