• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wood stove

I like it Bob. I have a small wood stove in tiny wood shop and it is very fiddly. A very small adjustment of the damper makes the difference between “darn its cold in here” to smoke pouring in. I think your modification should work nicely and is highly portable.

Bob

Just wondering what size tent you have that can accommodate 8 people. Our 10 x 12 can squeeze in only about 4 people comfortably. The stove and wood take up nearly one full side of the tent.
Hi Pitt,
I have had a 10 x 14 foot tent for 40 years. The wood stove is not too big. Eight people fit fine in chairs with no table except across the back of the tent.

Hi Bob-
I have the Four dog small titanium stove which I believe is the same size as the trekker for my 8x10 snowtrekker. I decided to start using a stove pipe thermometer… my stove uses the same damper design as yours. The thermometer has made a world of difference in my burns… I can really dial in the temps now and the burn time is way longer and more steady. Not sure if that may help… always had one on my home stove… figured I could guesstimate… but this proved to help a lot… and remind me my guesswork is just that 😂

Attachments

• 15596FE4-4486-465E-AFA5-FDDF995060ED.jpeg
    15596FE4-4486-465E-AFA5-FDDF995060ED.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 19
CTC, great pic. I have stove envy!!! I have lusted over Dons titanium stoves for years. They have a baffle inside too. How long of a burn do you get? Is it sensitive to damper adjustment? I have been thinking of adding a magnetic thermometer as I have one on the stoves in my cabin, garage and house … your post seals it for me, gonna put one on.

In true winter temps, do feel you enough stove, even when burning soft woods?

Bob.

Hi Bob-
Well… I had to sell a lot of gear to get that stove… and I have been watching Don’s page to see when these were available again… I lucked out before the holdays. I had used a fold up stove but it was way too leaky and too small. I get about 3-4 hours of nice steady heat with the gauge now( 15F over night… can’t wait to see how it works in the negatives)… I was only getting about 1.5-2 hours before… but I was wasting fuel I believe. I think I can get close to 5-6 loaded and running a bit cooler. I have not used soft woods yet as here in NY we have a ton of hardwood available as dead and down. I am interested to see what will be the numbers with soft wood. I have a February trip planned for about 5 days so I may have some more info for you after that. This is my first season with a snowtrekker… I can’t believe these tents. I’m happy to hear yours holds up so well… love that you and Jake have a great get away. By the way the thermometer is a Midwest Hearth thermometer. It’s nice and small… pricey though.
Cheers

CTC, great pic. I have stove envy!!! I have lusted over Dons titanium stoves for years. They have a baffle inside too. How long of a burn do you get? Is it sensitive to damper adjustment? I have been thinking of adding a magnetic thermometer as I have one on the stoves in my cabin, garage and house … your post seals it for me, gonna put one on.

In true winter temps, do feel you enough stove, even when burning soft woods?

Bob.
The damper is pretty sensitive… but I have burn marks that are on it from use that are my indicators for a open - mid range - and reburn once stove is up to temp… then I can really crank down the front air flow and get that steady long heat.

Here is the damper… it’s hard to see… I put red lines to indicate the three operating lines from burn area … there is a lip on the end of the damper as well to prevent accidental removal without purposely managing it

Attachments

• 9F8756C5-3581-4CD0-B711-4856F52FA615.jpeg
    9F8756C5-3581-4CD0-B711-4856F52FA615.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 11
  • C88C0E34-FD6D-41A0-936E-716CA71283ED.jpeg
    C88C0E34-FD6D-41A0-936E-716CA71283ED.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the info … wow, 3 plus hour burn, that would be awesome! It can be hard to get a hold Don, I will keep trying, I have lots of questions for him. Thank you for the info. Looking forward to a trip report when you return in February.

Bob.

I was typing a post when your last one populated … holly cow that is just like my damper … only well made! Is it steel or titanium? I am guessing it does not bend or warp. I was going to mark mine at the halfway point, and 3/4 too. How wide is it, how many side pipe inches do you have? I have about 3/4 inch per side.

After your pic I am hopeful my damper will improve my stove.

Thanks again!

My stove pipe holes are in the roof and it is preventing me from throwing a tarp over the tent to make it more weather tight, something I didn't worry about until they started leaking.
I have never used this but stumbled upon it this morning looking for something else and thought about your post. This is supposed to take high heat and keep snow / rain from leaking in on you. Maybe it is something you might be interested in ?

Bob.

I was typing a post when your last one populated … holly cow that is just like my damper … only well made! Is it steel or titanium? I am guessing it does not bend or warp. I was going to mark mine at the halfway point, and 3/4 too. How wide is it, how many side pipe inches do you have? I have about 3/4 inch per side.

After your pic I am hopeful my damper will improve my stove.

Thanks again!
Hi Bob-
Sorry — that silly thing called work delayed my response… the damper is about 2.25 inches inside the 3 inch pipe… leaving about 3/8ths on each side of my math is correct. I have included pictures. Yes the damper is titanium… he also placed a bend down the center which I attempted to capture in the picture that seems to give rigidity to the damper.

The final pictures are of a baffle I put in my old fold up stove. I simply cut and bent a thin sheet of titanium. I would insert this in the firebox and had the baffle force the air toward the front… this helped that tiny stove work a lot better. I used the small sheet to hold it against the top so the baffle stayed in place when wood was inserted. I am not suggesting this for your stove…just mentioning that I did this with a stove with no baffle and it certainly helped with burn and better heat for cooking at the top.

Attachments

• F3174C98-59BE-4052-BFF6-7DE7BF66FC6C.jpeg
    F3174C98-59BE-4052-BFF6-7DE7BF66FC6C.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 450FC1BA-BD3B-44C3-834C-C7EC78EC810F.jpeg
    450FC1BA-BD3B-44C3-834C-C7EC78EC810F.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 93200F06-DCF6-419A-A3A4-A0F9FB488E0F.jpeg
    93200F06-DCF6-419A-A3A4-A0F9FB488E0F.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 7
  • A573EBD2-A60B-4F47-8E31-8E16D4873697.jpeg
    A573EBD2-A60B-4F47-8E31-8E16D4873697.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 7
  • EC80A3AF-F5F8-4D73-90CF-1FAA6CF07BDA.jpeg
    EC80A3AF-F5F8-4D73-90CF-1FAA6CF07BDA.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 7
Hi Bob-
Sorry — that silly thing called work delayed my response… the damper is about 2.25 inches inside the 3 inch pipe… leaving about 3/8ths on each side of my math is correct. I have included pictures. Yes the damper is titanium… he also placed a bend down the center which I attempted to capture in the picture that seems to give rigidity to the damper.

The final pictures are of a baffle I put in my old fold up stove. I simply cut and bent a thin sheet of titanium. I would insert this in the firebox and had the baffle force the air toward the front… this helped that tiny stove work a lot better. I used the small sheet to hold it against the top so the baffle stayed in place when wood was inserted. I am not suggesting this for your stove…just mentioning that I did this with a stove with no baffle and it certainly helped with burn and better heat for cooking at the top.
Here are pictures of the difference the baffle made in the heating surface… you can see clearly the one shows a more even burn surface… the little thin titanium stoves do get red.

Attachments

• 5F07A086-E0D1-4A61-8DFC-5285FF678BAF.png
    5F07A086-E0D1-4A61-8DFC-5285FF678BAF.png
    300.4 KB · Views: 9
  • FA365E7D-B16B-4718-A8D4-2E1BD08E091A.jpeg
    FA365E7D-B16B-4718-A8D4-2E1BD08E091A.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 8
Like has been said, I too wanted to extend the camping seaon (on both ends). Having pretty much all the camping/canoeing gear and clothing I need, I decided to go the hot tent route. For the last 5 years I have been hammock camping, but I do want to try getting back into tent camping so I needed two shelters and a stove. I decided on the Pomoly Rhombus Hammock Hot Tarp and the StoveHut 70. For a stove, I decided on the Luxe 3W stove. I burned-in the stove last September and pitched the Rhombus in the back yard and configured it, in preparation to for some shoulder season trips. Due to some circumstances, I was only able to get one trip in at the end of October and the lowest temps were in the upper 30s, so there was no need to use the stove. However, it was a good opportunity to field test the Hot Tarp. I was very satisfied with how it worked with just my Warbonnet Ridgerunner hammock; as well as the hammock with the sock on it. I plan to check out both shelters, with the stove, this spring.

Attachments

• LTL Campsite 5.jpg
    LTL Campsite 5.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC09824.JPG
    DSC09824.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC09791.JPG
    DSC09791.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 13
  • LTL Campsite 6.jpg
    LTL Campsite 6.jpg