• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wood paddles - which style and maker do you like?

I'm late to the party but will still chime in.
I'm a fan of Ray Kettlewell paddles, now manufactured by Fishell as the Ray Special.

That said, i recently picked up an oiled cherry Hunter and Harris Ottertail and I must admit it is now my go to paddle in most situations.
Check them out:

Bruce

I had a funny experience with a Hunter and Harris. I got to try one out at the Maine Canoe Symposium for about 5 min or so (actually it belongs to Keith of White Rose Canoes and member of this forum). When I picked it up it felt very heavy and clubbish. When I started using it with underwater recovery strokes it felt like butter. I guess weight doesn't matter if the paddle doesn't leave the water? But, don't take my word for it, like I said, that was a first impression of one paddle used for about 5 min. Looking at their site I think it was the ottertail model. @Pook does that match your experience?

Tsuga8,
Was the paddle you tried a Cherry paddle? Or some other heavier wood?
Mine is light and agile- 'heavy and clubbish' are about the furthest thing away from describing its feel.
I do agree that it cuts like butter- using it for the "Canadian" stroke is a dream.
Bruce

Tsuga8,
Was the paddle you tried a Cherry paddle? Or some other heavier wood?
Mine is light and agile- 'heavy and clubbish' are about the furthest thing away from describing its feel.
I do agree that it cuts like butter- using it for the "Canadian" stroke is a dream.
Bruce
It all depends on who carved it and the companies quality control. I love my two Shaw and Tenney cherry paddles from the late 90's because they were so fine, so I ordered one for my wife. It was very heavy and clubish to the point of being unusable. My guess is that the guy who carved it probably carved more oars than paddles so to him it seemed light.

My advise is to not custom order an expensive paddle. I would buy one from someones existing stock if they could give me a weight on it that was acceptable. Otherwise I would only go with something more economical like a Bark Canoe Store one piece or a durable Bending Branches type laminated paddle with edge guards.

Some follow up info: Bark canoe store does not have any 60" paddles - they have some 63 and 66, don't know about other sizes. his paddle maker stopped making paddles so currently doesn't have 60" available.
Bruce Smith is charging $60 Canadian (approx $47 US currently) shipping on paddles to the US.
Going to follow up with some others this week.

Bruce Smith is charging $60 Canadian (approx $47 US currently) shipping on paddles to the US.

It was $48 CAD for me a year ago. Quite a jump. But there have been equal or bigger jumps in the prices of so many things in the past 12 months.

Some follow up info: Bark canoe store does not have any 60" paddles - they have some 63 and 66, don't know about other sizes. his paddle maker stopped making paddles so currently doesn't have 60" available.
Going to follow up with some others this week.

Still worth it for a Bruce Smith IMO.

It was $48 CAD for me a year ago. Quite a jump. But there have been equal or bigger jumps in the prices of so many things in the past 12 months.
Still worth it for a Bruce Smith IMO.
I'm not making judgements - just passing on info as I get it - maybe saving some folks a call or e mail.
In the process of getting info from Badger, Fishell, and Al Bratton.

Thanks for the report outs, kbobb! Does the above really mean 'currently', or perhaps forever if he doesn't find another maker?

Thanks for the report outs, kbobb! Does the above really mean 'currently', or perhaps forever if he doesn't find another maker?
Tsuga - Probably best to call/e-mail him directly to find out his future plans. In summary, he told me his paddlemaker lost his helpers during covid (helpers quit) and stopped making paddles. Beyond that I'm sorry but can't answer for him. If you want a paddle from him may be best to act soon if they have your size.

I have some really good paddles I bought from the Sawyer factory in Oregon. They are beautiful light and strong.
But the paddles I use are ones I have made. A carpenter friend glues up the blanks, then I shape them with hand tools.
It very rewarding. My favorite paddle has a white ash stringer with mahogany and black walnut. It is not the lightest paddle in the rack, but it stands up to western rivers full of rocks and current. It has been rescued in eddies many times.

It is surprising in a group like this that more people don't try paddle making.

I'm not making judgements - just passing on info as I get it - maybe saving some folks a call or e mail.
In the process of getting info from Badger, Fishell, and Al Bratton.
If I were buying a new wood paddle sight unseen I would want to know the weight before I buy. I just checked out some Badger paddles that were all real nice, but they varied in weight. I regret not getting the one that felt good. At 159.00 it is a good deal.

I bought some Al Camp bent shafts a very long time ago...maybe it was 1978? or '79?
I did like those paddles, and bought a couple replacements that were labeled Sawyer (they sure looked like Al Camps designs to me).
But, I've been using paddles of my own construction since, oh, uhmm, 1984 or so.
And I recently made a new batch, all 12 degree bent shafts, lengths from 48" to 52", for myself and some specific others. The all weigh about the same, a4 or 15 oz. Blades are covered with 2 oz E-glass.

Here they are partially finished

AL9nZEWD1dg1yFNLU8SN3I0HxUX6iirjxIultHNwQjz9ky8RdWNEiTKp4WOOhp905nMX9-Uxbn9QlRfAu8gALWNH-Pa5BWRHZtehVidT0GMug3Yh5hfa4hE9_98KP9i5C9ApsKRj7f_E3B0jN29NdMW8GuOpbQ=w652-h868-no

And here's some of nearly finished

IMG_3593.JPG

Back