• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Wet suits?

Reaction score
To buy or not to buy?
I have never even worn a wet suit but I would like some advice.
I am fairly new to canoe tripping but I have paddled in fairly cold tempatures, in other words in the snow. So should I invest in a wet suite? Just in case?

I got a dry suit. Of course I am partly of that creature of heck a kayaker. We travel on the Gulf of Maine and have to dress for the water. We wear drysuits as we can wear just about anything under them including a suit and tie if you want. Seriously we wear thin or thick fleece according to the water temperatures. People tell you to dress for the water. The trouble with a wetsuit is you have to dress for the air too. If you get the wetsuit wet, you will feel all the cold wind. You can stay warm in a wet wetsuit with a windblocking jacket and pants.
Or invest in an inexpensive but still quality drysuit without a lot of bells and whistles, that is made with the occasional use in mind rather than a nine month polar expediton.

Mythic Drysuits. Bryan Hansel has a review on Paddlinglight.com

Depending upon the conditions, a wet suit may not allow enough time to affect a rescue as compared to a dry suit. In my experience with the two pieces of safety clothing, the dry suit is much more comfortable which makes it more likely that it will be used. We have used the Kokatat Goretex Expedition dry suits for about six years. They are expensive, perfectly well-made, extend the paddling season, allow varying layers of insulation and are generally comfortable. It is one the best pieces of equipment I have ever owned. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
This may help:
http://www.useakayak.org/references/hypothermia_table.html

Last edited:
Drysuit here to, I would never go back to a wet suit ever... And if you buy a drysuit, buy a Kokatat, they are the only good reliable one and the only one made in the USA.

I find it difficult to stay warm in an open Canoe in a wet suit. Works OK in a kayak when combined with a dry top. I too am fortunate to have a dry suit. Also, Canoe specific pogies.

Drysuit here to, I would never go back to a wet suit ever... And if you buy a drysuit, buy a Kokatat, they are the only good reliable one and the only one made in the USA.
Bob's Mythic Drysuits are made in China but his dealership is in Maine. He wears his brand on whitewater. I'm OK with that as he is a paddler and stands by it.

Ok, dry suite. I guess that makes sense.
I'm wondering if anybody has a reason to wear neither?

Sure. If you are paddling a tiny slow moving river or next to the shore on a small lake in calm you can carry extra warm clothing and a change in a drybag

Although I do paddle in the shoulder seasons, I have never owned a drysuit and at this point in my life, I never will. The expense is the main reason, but even if they where half the price I would probably not buy one.
I prefer to depend on a spare set of clothes readily available in a dry bag, a good fire starting system, lighters, birch bark, punk wood, in a dry bag, and most of all, I err on the side of caution. I don't run rapids in cold weather/water and try to avoid big water crossings in spring or fall. Even in August I respect the water/air temps and will wait for better conditions. This past August I spent the better part of 4 days windbound rather than proceed with my plans. I spent 2 and 1/2 days windbound in August in WCPP.

I mostly hug the shoreline on my solo trips. I feel safer, I enjoy the views, the fishing is better (sometimes) and I'm never in that much of a hurry where the shortest distance from point A to B is important.

If I where part of a group or club where everyone wore them to met the conditions they paddled in, I would guess I would have to buy one. Paddling solo I never have that problem so I'm happy with my system and feel perfectly safe.

John,
When considering your purchase, it is important to note that some dry suits can be repaired or have socks and gaskets replaced if needed over the life of the suit. This will factor into the lifetime cost. Also, check out the warranty.

If you can afford it and justify it for trip reasons, dry suit over wet suit anytime. Especially if you are going solo in challenging water temps or conditions, it's some peace of mind for you and those you left at home. (danger is still danger, don't let it change your judgement. It certainly doesn't make you invincible either.) Some conditions are just really challenging to dress and be comfortable in (for instance hot weather, frigid water) and nothing is going to feel right when you are paddling.

A few Alaskan trips I took w guides, they made you hop in the river or lake water the night before, just for the shock value...you'd know it was deadly cold and limb and brain numbing very quickly. Their point was always made, be prepared, have a plan, take the conditions seriously.

In the end, what Robin said is most sensible. Be careful, consider the conditions, know and respect your limits (and experience of your companions), have a backup & rescue plan and gear and think, think, think...

Thanks for all of the feedback.
Just want to say that in my original post I mentioned paddling in the snow. Well that was unintentional but I would like to paddle as early and as late as possible but don't want to be breaking ice! I do know how to keep warm out doors, I know how to dress but, if something bad happened and I found myself out of the canoe 1000' from shore, even if I managed to get to shore would I know how to get warm? Nope.
So far I'm leaning towards Robins outlook. Dress warm, don't put yourself at more risk than you can handle.
But I just want to ask, could a dry suit make the difference between life and death? I really am ignorant about these things.

Indeed they will. If properly dressed under the dry suit, i.e. up here in the summer when we run ww, we put dry suits on I always wear a set of farmer john 100 weigh fleece and on long underwear shirt, it is +25C and sunny, the water is still 10C if we are lucky so if you just wear your drysuit with a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, you will get cold and if in the drink for long enough get hypothermic. Drysuit don't really insulate you from the cold water, but it keeps your insulation layers dry. In 4c water, I can stay in for a long long time before getting cold. If I were to wear regular clothing, I wouldn't last 15 minutes.

What he said.. Especially on quick rivers where its hard to get to shore( the Yukon runs at about 8 mph) and the big lakes where tidal or rip currents can prevent you from getting to shore. Getting out requires time and a drysuit gives you some more time though not an infinitely long time.

We too paddle in drysuits on the ocean year round. The rule is to dress for the water temperature not the air. Here is a perhaps or not useful link. http://www.paddlinglight.com/articles/wetsuit-vs-drysuit-for-paddling/

Back