• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Wenonah Paddle Shaft Replacment

Reaction score
I had caught the Black Lite Elbow Carbon paddle on sale one year and bought a couple. I really like using them. Long as you are careful with them they are pretty tough. But they are no match to being a shield to a tree limb across a river. There was a strainer in a corner when we went around the back end of the boat was pushed into the tree and I threw the paddle up to guard against a stob sticking out of the limb. Snapped the shaft right in the middle. So I called Wenonah about a replacement shaft and they said that was not an option. But I could buy a new paddle as they had some on sale again (This was months ago). Now they must have became popular because they are $199 now.

So with that story being told. Does anyone know where I could get a shaft that might work? I see some on the ZRE website.

I've replaced blades on ZRE paddles, which works fine (heat gun and epoxy). The important thing is the diameter of the shaft and the diameter of the blade insert, and the ovalization. They're just epoxied on. I have a Wenonah carbon and a couple or Zavs. I'll take a look and see if they might be compatible.

I took a look at the Wenonah and Zav paddles. Wenonahs are a bit larger diameter: Wenonah: 1.220/1.337, Zav 1: 1.145/1.277, Zav 2: 1.150/1.290. So, about 0.1 inch larger diameter. There's a chance the inside diameters are the same, as the Wenonah paddle is 5 oz. heavier. Any chance of repairing the shaft? There are some good fabricators on this board that might have some suggestions.

Hey Clint. Just a couple of comments/ideas. I see that the Zav shafts are pretty expensive. Looking at one of my Zavs I'm not sure if they are round either, they might be oval.

One idea would be to buy a piece from the source you found...maybe two feet. Maybe you could find a way to sleeve your original shaft...either put the new piece right over the old shaft or you might even have to slit the new piece so you could get it around your old shaft and then bond it with some good glue/adhesive.

Another idea would be to go to your hardware store and look for a hardwood dowel that just fits inside your old shaft. You might be able to just glue a dowel inside your broken shaft to get a strong and cost-effective fix. Even though a hardwood dowel would add weight to your paddle you might like it because adding weight to the shaft improves the balance of the paddle. I think this is what I might do in your situation. My local hardware store has an awesome selection of hardwood dowels in many different diameters.

just sharing ideas

Both the Zaveral and Wenonah shafts are oval (hence the two measurements I provided). If you're planning on repairing it, I'd strongly suggest an internal sleeve and epoxy. You'll want the shaft to be as smooth as possible so as not to interfere with your switches.

Sorry I overlooked your measurements Mason, I was off measuring my paddles. You make a good point that the final repair needs to have a smooth shaft.

Clint - maybe a long shot but you might try GRB Newman Designs to see if they'd sell you a shaft for less money than ZRE. Their paddles are considerably less expensive than Zav's but the quality seems every bit as good.

https://www.grbnewmandesigns.com/paddles-and-accessories

For what it's worth, I've repaired a bunch of wenonah shafts on paddles we used as rentals (tour life elbow). You can do a decent repair if you are willing to add a bit weight. My method is to clamp the shaft together as close as possible and then drill a bunch of holes and squirt in some expanding foam to temporarily give it some structure, and then wrap with carbon and heatshrink tape. Spray tack helps a lot. I'd usually do a wrap right around the break, and then the full shaft. Otherwise you have a big stress riser and the shaft will just break right above the repair.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. A friend came over Saturday to plan out our training schedule for the next couple months and he had a GRB Newman Designs paddle. I had not seen them before. Thank you gumpus for the link. ( I was able to paddle with his for a while Saturday, They have a nice catch in the water!) Quin, Mason, gumpus I have thought about what ya'll have all said about the repair. I like playing around with new ideas and I have been wanting to make a paddle for awhile. I have made a few birdsmouth spars into shafts before but never actually using them. So this weekend I made a shaft to the dimensions of the broken paddle. I plan on sleeving it with carbon after it is all sanded and fitted. We'll see how it turns out. If it doesn't work then no harm.

Attachments

• photo16328.jpg
    photo16328.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo16329.jpg
    photo16329.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo16327.jpg
    photo16327.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo16330.jpg
    photo16330.jpg