• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Way up North...

B Birch - Yes, That is an old Heddon #10 Blue Waters model. It seems to throw 6-7 DT Wt. line best. NOt my "go to" rod, as it's heavy for a long day of casting, but I love the smell of it and the soft action of that rod.

Memaquay - I would have enjoyed a visit! I am coming up with my lab the first week in October for grouse and some fishing and staying at a cabin up there. If you are free, maybe we could do some shooting together. I've been an firearms instructor for 20 years, so you can feel safe around the crazy 'Murican with a gun... That connector is pond is the one I spoke of that I got some nice brookies on. My smallest was 2.5 lbs and the largest about 20" and 3.5 lbs. No doubt there were some other bruisers in there. If you would send me a PM with any advice for the area, I would appreciate it. I saw a lot of Ruffed Grouse and Varied Hares while there last month. Any other upland species around?

Cruiser - I love my hammock in the right conditions, and sometimes bring one even when sleeping on the ground for a "lunch nap" or seat. My saving grace, whether on the ground, a hammock or a cot is an Exped Down 7 mat. It's inflatable with a built in pump, filled with down and warm in any conditions.

Cruiser....... These folks had Army surplus hammocks and their sleeping bags were not warm enough for the conditions. I myself, am a side sleeper, I have wondered how I could get a good nights sleep laying on my side in a hammock. I however have taken a nap in them that was refreshing. I like a big flat,thick bed and a big warm down bag that I can roll around in. I also can not sleep in a mummy bag because of mild claustrophobia.
The best/funniest story about hammocks is in the Patrick McManus book entitled A FINE AND PLEASANT MISERY in the chapter called Grogan's War Surplus. I urge everyone to read it.

DanOver, I have the Exped 9 Downmat (and a 7), we are on the same page. I actually use the inflator bag they sell for the Downmats, a lot easier and takes practically no room and weighs less than an ounce.

Boreal, there was no question that they didn't have either the right gear or right setup ... I was just commenting that hammocks are fine, tents are fine ... bad setups are usually ... well... bad setups. As far as side sleeping I found my Exped hammock to be quite fine for side sleeping, the Tentsile Flyte I picked up 2 years ago is very good for any kind of sleeping ... as flat as I think you could likely get, as comfortable as I have ever been.

Brian

I will have to check out these types of Hammocks, all I have ever seen were the type that you snooze on your back in a big body shaped U. I have often wished for a better spot to sleep than curled up in a bed of rocks and roots. I have found that the older I have gotten, the higher the need for a good bed has become. My first camps were lean-to tarps and a couple of thin wool blankets. I now sleep on Exped Megamat 10 with the bag thingy to blow it up or a Nemo Cosmo 30XL insulated, with a built in pump, in a big warm Feathered Friends rectangular bag, inside a Hilleberg Nallo 4 tent. Spring and Fall I like my Whelen lean-to that Bothwell Voyageur of this forum made for me, same pads and bag with the addition of green Hudson's Bay 4 point blanket and a light canvas bedroll covering everything. In late fall/winter it is wood stove, wall tent and cot. Oh ya, I almost forgot to mention the down pillow.

Back