• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Waterproof Gutter Tape

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? An article I read recently said it was better than duct tape. There was a link to an amazon page. It's pretty expensive, but seems to be used for a lot of heavy duty use including boat repair.

I recently tried “Flex seal Tape” and it’s scarry! If any of you know what Grace Water Seal (bituthane) is, this stuff makes the Grace look like a bandaid! Comes in lots of width’s and some colors. A roll will be in the canoe kit come spring. Id be very confident in a pretty bad owie being repaired well enough to safely finish a trip.

I had just heard about gutter tape today, I wonder if we looked at the same article. Anyway I have some of that flex seal tape. I haven't used it yet but I expect it will be better than duct tape and I have used duct tape to repair a cracked hull before, with good results.

Once patched a rip in light weight Grumman canoe with electrical tape from the 1.5 horse Johnson motor repair kit. Worked good enough that we painted over it, when we painted the canoe dead grass green camouflage, for hunting.
This is was long ago, at that time I had never knew of duct tape.

Last edited:
I recently tried “Flex seal Tape” and it’s scarry! If any of you know what Grace Water Seal (bituthane) is, this stuff makes the Grace look like a bandaid! Comes in lots of width’s and some colors. A roll will be in the canoe kit come spring. Id be very confident in a pretty bad owie being repaired well enough to safely finish a trip.

Very effective tape. I have used this on 30-35 yr old vinyl siding, which was cracking and had some holes, on my daughter’s old house. Some of it has been on the siding for 4+ years and exposed to daily sunlight and the extremes of Wisconsin weather with absolutely no failure. When first applied to the siding I figured I would have to replace it at least annually but as we tear off the old siding for replacement I find it holding up as well as when first applied.

Flex seal tape is so adhesive it can be difficult to work with.

Back