• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Wanted. Broken GoPro's for parts.

Reaction score
I specifically need a Hero 4 Black but will purchase or take any that you have no further need for.

Will pay for shipping as well to Canada.

Thank you
Karin

I specifically need a Hero 4 Black but will purchase or take any that you have no further need for.

Will pay for shipping as well to Canada.

Karin, I’d love to hear the backstory on this, thinking you are either trying to repair something or create something.

Maybe the GoPro forums?

https://www.goproforums.com/index.php

This of course is coming from a guy who still can’t figure out anything other than “automatic” on a digital camera.

Mike, it is to repair a dysfunctional unit I purchased on Ebay a few years ago. The first unit I bought looked great and it did work but due to some issues I could not change the settings and it always said no SD card. I could have sent it back to the seller as unfit, but decided they would just sell it to someone else so I sucked up the $300 hit. Purchased a second eBay Hero 4 Silver and love the camera. I prefer the silver over the black due to the built in LCD screen on the back which makes for easier use.

I did a google search looking for places to repair the original camera and found a place called ifixit which sells all the parts for the cameras among other things for computers and phones. I ordered the main motherboard assembly, $60 US and planned to replace that board and have 2 complete cameras. So last weekend I took apart the camera whilst watching the ifixit tear down video and lo and behold the components in my camera are not original gopro parts, or so it seems since they do not match the tear down video components. My battery box was soldered to the main board where there should be a modular plug. So I need a battery box and ifixit is out of those. Also the image sensor is not the same but I can get one of those.

Options would be to send back the main board to ifixit and trash the camera or, find the parts I need and rebuild that camera, so I will exhaust that option before trashing the camera. I bought a tool kit from ifixit for small scale electronic repairs, it has like a 000, 00, and 0 Phillips screw driver head among other tiny tools.

I figured it couldn't hurt to look for broken or unloved cameras I could buy for parts and rebuild. A new Hero 7 would run me $529 plus taxes so I would rather fix what I can get. The older units were better anyway as I don't need 4 or 5.6k video and the Hero 4 is simpler to use. The Hero 4 has 4k video potential but I use it at 720 to save card space as a 30 minute video even in that format can be 3-4 GB in size. At 720 I can get over 5 hours of video on a 64 GB micro sd card6. Besides, I have multiple batteries, chargers et al for the Hero 4 which are not compatible with the newer cameras.

Karin

Back