• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Want to buy used kayak rudder

G

I need to find a used kayak rudder to install on the rebuild of a 1976 Klepper sailing kayak. A modern Feathercraft-style rudder will work with some adaptation, but an old-school rudder housing like this will work even better (it should fit in the existing pin hole on the stern and allows for easy rudder blade removal).

If you plan to sail your me creation, I suggest you buy a larger size rudder
I own a 20 ft tandem Kaskazi ARX self bailing kayak that I sail with the larger Kayaksailor sail rig . The standard rudder is too small for sailing and I will be mounting a larger rudder. You may want to try to match the original Klepper rudder
area

If you plan to sail your me creation, I suggest you buy a larger size rudder
I own a 20 ft tandem Kaskazi ARX self bailing kayak that I sail with the larger Kayaksailor sail rig . The standard rudder is too small for sailing and I will be mounting a larger rudder. You may want to try to match the original Klepper rudder area

I have sails on most of my tripping boats, both open and decked canoes, and have changed out the rudder blades on several.

If possible I may retrofit the OEM 18” x 8” Klepper rudder blade. Making a new blade sized and shaped for my purposes isn’t hard, I’ve customized new, enlarged blades for a couple of other decked sailing tripper and even for a couple of open canoes.

The difficulty is in adapting a different rudder housing for the existing pin hole and stern shape of the Comrade. I don’t know which of the (several) modern rudder housing variations will work, or which I could most easily adapt.

Back