• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Video: Grasslands

Thanks GRS. Whenever I mention grasslands and prairie skies (of which I've seen so little) my friends say the usual "Nothin' there and boring as heck. Might as well fly and skip those flat middle parts of the country." Thanks for showing what is there, if we slow down and take a look. Grasslands National Park has long been on my bucket list but I've never thought of paddling that country. The burrowing owls were a treat to see! I think I saw herons gliding from bank to bank, and did I spy eagles later on? Beaver sure made their presence felt. lol Was that a fence line across the first stretch of water creating a strainer? Thought I saw a metal post sticking up.
Not sure I could fall asleep under such a big starlit sky. That would be an exhilaratingly good thing.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
A real pleasure to watch and absorb the stillness, along with the various environmental sounds that add to a very relaxing effect. I waited until a quiet evening to see this and it was the right way with the easygoing pace... twenty minutes went by rather quickly.

Jatfomike No problem. Yeah, the owls were really unexpected. Thanks for watching!

Odyssey You did see a post sticking up, that was some kind of crossing once upon a time. Rain-less thunder storm the night of the camp in the video. Woke up to a light show around 2 a.m. Maybe put any food or drink down for this next comment. No herons made it in the video, but I did scare one paddling around a corner such that it defecated a white stripe across the waterway as it took off. The least pleasant sighting of a heron in my experience.

frozentripper Thanks! That's really nice to hear. That's the kind of environment I too like to watch canoe videos in.

Thanks GRS, just goes to show you need me on every trip to misidentify every bird we see. lol. (I'll be sure to wear my hat.)
That travelling thunder and light show must've been awesome under such a big sky.
I guess there must have been fords across the river in places at one time?
Your films are always thoughtful and thought provoking.
Thanks again.

Back