• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Venison jerky ideas

Sounds good without the spice. Looks even better. I would have a hard time rationing that out over a whole trip.

Last edited:
Last week I happened to be on Amazon and just for the heck of it looked up dehydrators. Holy Crap, 40$ for one like I used to have. It arrived today so in the next week or so I'll be trying out my old recipe as well as drying out some fruits. Thanks for starting this thread Robin.

I won't have this batch left for canoe season, it's still in the refrigerator and I tap into it on a regular basis. Lots more venison in the freezer so I see another batch on the way.

Oh man, those Backpackinglight haiku are great! Should be a new one printed on every tin. Those are frame worthy.

Trying to fit Spam into a gram weeny food pack might be worth the effort. Let us know how it works out.
In the meantime, my brother has bought a huge expensive smoker. Takes up nearly as much space in his garage as the car. I'm sure he opens all the doors before firing it up. The garage, not the car. Anyway, he's all excited to smoke cheese and ribs, fish and whatever. I wonder what hot-smoked Spam tastes like? I'm going to text him immediately and place my order.

Leaning to kiss her,
Smelling her breath, I thought of
Love and luncheon loaf.

- Rex Jones.

ps . My brother thinks I am joking. Will only respond with "ha!"

Last edited:
First batch with the new dehydrator and old recipe came out just about perfect. The better half says she likes it so much she's going to go out tomorrow and buy a couple more steaks! What I don't like about store bought is how salty it is. This batch has an almost sweet and sour flavor to it with a hint of heat, not overwhelming. It is not going to last long! Going to do another batch as well as dry some fruits for down the road.

Last weekend my brother left me a big fillet of salmon he'd smoked. I'm considering turning it into jerky in my dehydrator. The fillet of smoked trout didn't survive the taste testing. That was exquisitely delicate, or in other words...WOW YUM. There's a bonus to all this, as my wife doesn't care for smoked anything. I know, I can't believe it either. I researched the idea of cold smoking tinned salmon and dehydrating it for a chowder recipe for a canoe trip this fall, but she'd prefer pea soup instead. I might have to start labelling separate meals.
My bro also tells me he's picked up some Spam to smoke for me. I wonder what kind of jerky that will make?

Last edited:
i like to use Korean Bulgogi sauce. its like a teriyaki/bbq sauce. I am going to start a batch soon, as this thread made me crave it

Back