• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Two passenger solo canoe

Reaction score
My current canoe is a Wenonah Vagabond. I love it. I would like to get a second canoe so that my wife (100 lbs.) can join me on the Ozark rivers I float/ run. She would be exclusively a passenger, not a paddler. I weigh about 225 lbs. I've done quite a bit of tandem canoeing but nothing on moving water without the second person paddling. If I used a regular tandem and paddled from the bow end as you typically would to use it solo, there would be nowhere to sit in the bow without adding an auxiliary seat. Any other ideas? The streams I like to canoe tend to be small and crooked, for example the Jacks Fork. I'm 66 so the lighter the better. Royalex would be ideal. Thanks.

I must not be following your reasoning. If two people were going to be in a tandem why not sit and paddle from the normal configuration of bow forward with you in the stern and her in the bow? Oh, I see, the weight discrepancy is probably your concern. I'd just load the bow with a collapsible water bag or rocks. A sliding seat(s) would help too.

Can you at least talk her into learning a couple very simple and basic strokes like a draw and pry so she can help you turn/maneuver now and again?

Alan

I have put a 100# passenger in front of me in my Swift osprey with the seat slid all the way back. They sat on the floor behind the front thwart. OK for a casual day paddle.
Turtle

Hays
Sounds like you need a "Courting Canoe", the kind where the Bow mate could sit in the bottom, comfortably, facing the stern paddler. If this is what you are thinking ?
I've been wondering why someone hasn't developed, or promoted these!

My best advice is to build a stripper, and outfit it accordingly ! I would look for a design in the 15-16ft range, preferably in the 16ft. length. With a fair amount of rocker to easy turning, good flare to keep your Bow mate dry! Very important, if you want her to go again!!
I would also want a wide bottom,for comfort and stability.
A prospector design MIGHT fill the bill.

It would be fun to build one of these ! Add some decorative stripping for a little sex appeal, and you'd be the envy of the paddling world !

Jim

Brief answer. I'm paddling in the pine Barrens with lots of FreeStyle trippers. Kind of tired.

Courting canoes are from the past but you can easily convert any current one by adding a canoe chair and a mat to the bottom. Similar to a beach chair. The back would rest against the bow seat

The reason though for paddling backwards from the bow seat of course is more boat control if you can get a reach to the bow
In the Barrens twisty streams and blowdown post Sandy make bow control imperative. Sliding the stern solely won't cut it.
I do own a courting canoe. An old JR Robertson

When my son was about 10/11 years old he was tall and thin. I did not weigh him but I'm guessing ~ 100 lbs while I was ~ 200 lbs. I sat in the bow facing the stern and he sat in the stern facing the stern. He was small/thin enough to fit in that space anyway and the trim was fine. That was a 16' old town camper canoe. OT Campers aren't as bad to paddle on the water as they look on paper. Decent recreational canoe for the money and there are a lot of Old Towns out there. They are Royalex and weigh 59 lbs. There may be other canoes with seat locations suitable to sit this way. Good luck

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess what I really had in mind was a solo that would accommodate a passenger forward of center. My Vagabond is simply too narrow for a passenger at any position and maybe every solo is the same. Probably the best bet is a tandem switched end for end with a canoe chair for my wife a comfortable distance ahead of center.

Hays
You are probably right.
But thanks for getting me thinking of something new to build this Winter! A courting canoe ?

Good luck in your search !

Jim

Combi canoe were popular for about a decade before the recent turn of the century. Interest has lagged because they function better for dealers than customers. If a big guy can solo the hull it will not accommodate two of him tandem. If fine for two compact guys tandem it will prove too large for one of them to solo.

That said, the Hemlock Eaglet at 15' X 33" might be Hay's daisy rigged with three seats. Hemlock will trim the seats for customer weights, and it should come in about 45 lbs. That is in composite, ABS is neither available nor lightweight.]

Back