• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Tumplines

rpg51, there's no argument. I'm just aware that using a waist belt shifts some of the load to the hips, thus relieving some of the load on the spine. It seems like using the tump puts some of the load on the upper vertebrae.

Here's some more tumpline reading: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~burchil/pm_canoe/canoe_tump.html
I've used them many years ago, but only on packs. They're an ingenious traditional design for hauling big loads. Let's keep in mind, that they originated before padded hip belts. It seems to me that a tumpline load is carried differently than a shouldered & hip belt harness system; hence the differing postures. Wearing a tump requires the user to lean forward keeping a straight back. It seems to transfer the weight down through the back and to the hips and legs. A harness system allows the wearer to walk more upright, and keep the weight balanced between the hips and shoulders. I'm no kinesiologist, so maybe some expert could confirm or correct this, I'm fine with that. I found the tumpline comfortable, but much prefer my newer packs with back friendly backpack harnesses. My latest addition to my pack family is a beautiful old canvas portage pack. There appear to be buckles which might accommodate a tumpline. If so, then I'll add one, though I won't be doing any heavy hauling. As far as tumplines for canoe carrying, it sounds interesting. I'd like to see how that tumpline & carry bar works out rpg51. I've chosen to trip with new school gear, but I respect old school admirers as well.

That piece with all the links is great. I had seen all of the links except the popular mechanics pdf listed near the bottom. Thanks for posting that. New school v. old school. The debate will never end. But I agree - its not about your gear. Its about what you do when you are out there and why you are doing it. I'll admit part of it for me is aesthetics. I have four plastic boats hanging in my garage and I own a ZRE graphite bent shaft racing paddle. I'm no stranger to new school. I've just been rethinking things a bit. For example - we have decided to stop carrying stoves and fuel. Takes you away from the fire. The fire is the soul of the canoe trip and draws everyone together.

That's interesting, rpg51. When traveling solo, I take the smallest stove (Esbit) and completely avoid fires unless needed for some reason I haven't yet discovered. I imagine, though, that your last sentence is correct, for a group trip. There's something meditative about a campfire that tends to quiet the ego and draw out our essential humanity. Hmm, maybe that argues for a fire when traveling solo ....

To each his own. I have good friend who loves to take a solo trip now and again. I've tried it. I find it makes me "live on the inside" too much as Iris Dement would say. If I have a special moment, (like the time we drifted around a bend and found ourselves in the middle of a scene with an arctic wolf diving from the high bank into the river to prey on a group, (gaggle?), of flightless molting geese), I enjoy sharing that experience with another human being. It creates a bond between people. Like a fire. Same idea.

Yes, it's great to share things.
I like that phrase, "live on the inside." Story of my life.

Back