• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Trips planned for 2017 What is everyone planning

Has anyone here paddled Bulging Lake to Wrist Lake Route in WCPP? We are extending our trip to ten nights stay. Hoping for good weather and not much wind....July 18 through July 29

I'm planning on paddling the entire length of the Pascagoula River basin, end of March - beginning of April. It is the last unchecked,unchannelized, unimpeded (no dams) river system in the lower 48. I will be paddling across more than a third of the State of Mississippi, ending up in the Gulf of Mexico. Doc

Doc, that should be a great trip.
Are you going to start on the Leaf, or the Chick?

Has anyone here paddled Bulging Lake to Wrist Lake Route in WCPP? We are extending our trip to ten nights stay. Hoping for good weather and not much wind....July 18 through July 29
This was posted on this site at the time. http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...ussions/canoe-destinations/46623-fire-in-wcpp

Bad news for that route. Forest Fire Red#3 burned a lot of the southern portions of WCPP south of the Gammon River. Bulging burned in that fire. The area to Wrist did not all burn but that is because it had burned in previous years. Reports say it was not a total burn last year but my advice is to head north. This is a G4 map that shows WCPP and info for the area I am going to suggest to you. If you are willing to fly in and out this would be the best WCPP has to offer in my opinion. Fly into Royd and spend a few days exploring it and Constellation a 30 meter portage to the east. Then head up the west side of the Irvine Loop. Three portages later camp on what I call Splitrock Lake. Next head north again and camp two portages later on a great site on a small narrow lake at a place I call Starbucks because of my frequent stops there. Finish your trip on Irvine. This is the wilderness trip you are dreaming about. There is more info at canoestories.com and my youtube link. G4 url https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p...edirects=0&d=1

Last edited:
Claire Quewezence is a member here (user name Quew). She is the manager or director, I'm not sure of her title at Woodland Caribou PP. She mentioned to me when she joined that she is available to our membership to answer any questions they have about the park.

Like Marten, she is a wealth of knowledge about the park and if I was headed there this year I would use both to get up to date information.

woodland.caribou.mnr@ontario.ca or 807 727 1329.

A trip to the BWCA with my canoeing buddies in June. I might hang around for a solo afterwards, depending on the weather. Hopefully I can get some local paddling in this year, too.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/wtc

It won't be 2017 but Just started planning a trip to Wood Tikchik State Park Ak. for a September 2019 moose hunt. I have no desire to get a moose but my friend from back East has an empty spot on his wall that needs a moose head. This place has always looked good to me for a trip with many large lakes connected by short rivers in an area that is mostly tundra and mountains. If anyone has been there I'd appreciate any info or comments you may have.

Thanks, Alan

No canoe trip fr me this year. Hurt my knee last summer and it's turning out to be a whole lot worse than I thought.
BUT...Paris in the spring with my wife.
Hopefully, Wabakimi in 18.

I made reservations for Algonquin PP last month, for the end of July. A 7 day solo trip with the Start/Finish over on Rock Lake.

No canoe trip fr me this year. Hurt my knee last summer and it's turning out to be a whole lot worse than I thought.
Bummer!! I had a total knee replacement and can sit in a canoe.. Thankfully no portage trips are possible.

Paris is a beautiful city to see on foot. Hope your knee is good to go this springtime jcavendagh.
My knees were in rough shape so we frequently took transit (metro & RER). And stopped into delis, patisseries and cafes.
Beaucoup des picnics!
Even without a full grasp of francais, employing the social etiquette of bonjour, merci and au revoir everywhere you go, along with the requisite smile, will open so many doors to a great time.

Last edited:
Be very careful if you rent a Segway... msieur un accident de segway n'est pas heureux.

I'd give up a canoe trip to go back to Paris. The view from Mont Blanc is spectacular day or night.

And beware of pickpockets. It's the ones you don't detect that are the worst. Our valuables were always secure zipped in inside jacket pockets. Wear your backpack in front like a baby carrier when on crowded metros. The crowds will thank you too.
Standing in line beside Notre Dame for the narrow stone staircase up, up, up to the roof, I had a backpack on and fully zipped tight. When I got to the top to admire the view (oh what a view! and don't forget to see Emmanuel in the south tower, and the gargoyles) my pack was wide open. How in the world did someone do that? All I had was a guide book, and they weren't interested.
Standing in line under the Eiffel Tower I was constantly poked and tugged by two gypsies, who were making poor and failed attempts to open said backpack. Finally I turned and swore en francais for everyone to hear "I only have a *&%#@ guidebook in my backpack!! That's all! Now go..." (It may help you to know a few French words of the vulgar kind to really fit in. lol) Despite that they followed us up, but we gave them the slip, and stood all alone (at last) under a full moon looking over the Seine. Tellement beau.
And yes, while on one of our many Seine-side picnics I did wonder about canoeing the river. I asked about it, and was told "NON!"

ps Oh, and my budget priced answer to backpacks was a lightweight stow-able duffle bag. Stowed in a jacket pocket until needed; later employed to carry bread and wine and whatever she bought. With the bag up in front of you in crowds there's little chance of losing items mysteriously, or of face-planting into tall large operatic women on the metro. Don't. Ask.
You can stuff a lot of things into these bags.https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-1...ogether-Duffle

Last edited:
I don't really plan so much as decide. Being only 4 hours from Atikaki I can make a decision at breakfast time and be in the park by supper. Longer trips of course do require some packing but I intend to keep my gear ready to go this summer. More weekenders and day trips if possible. We are eyeballing Marshall again this year.
I am thinking of something up north perhaps also...Gunisao River. Pakwash Lake for some boat fishing might be cool again too.

Time and tide wait for no man, or so it's said, or something like that. My plans are pushed and pulled towards and away from fruition. I enjoy planning but I also know that I can't mark the calendar with indelible ink. Treasured family stuff vies for attention too, as it should. Bucket list boxes go unticked for another year, optimistically replaced with new ones. Luckily our plans no longer include any park travel; or unlucky depending on how I look at it. Crown land trips mean last minute decisions are doable, especially if my wife can throw her last minute vacation requests at head office, close her eyes click her heels twice and spin round three times with good effect. I have two easy Temagami trips planned, and am Marshall Lake dreaming too. I might have to practise the eye-heels-spinning thing this year.

Plans change. Now adding some stuff in British Columbia. Bowron Lakes and a secret big lake. in BC that is supposed to be wonderful.
Go West..
Well some of you working people have time to plan. For me the future is now.. Old.

We would be amenable to Marshall too if it can be the second week in July.. We will be passing through on the way west.. ( hopefully to Alaska though Homeland Security may find me distasteful)

Back