• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Tripping shoes/boots......again

Alan Gage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Been looking all winter for a new pair of tripping boots. I like boots that drain since I seem to spend a lot of time walking in water. The other day a few guys on BWCA.com had good things to say about the Rocky S2V Jungle boots, which I'd never heard of before:

http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-mens...FQ0000106.html

I really like that the sole is glued and sewn into place. That seems to be a weak link with most of my boots/shoes. Looks like good drainage. They're also made in the USA with USA materials. There's another line of the same boot that's $25 cheaper and, from what I can see, the main difference is that it doesn't specify made in the USA**. I don't know if the website's current sale price ($141) is actually a sale or if they're always that price. But looking at other retailers everyone else seems to be selling them for $200+.

This morning I broke down and ordered a pair. Turns out they have free shipping and even come with a free jacket (orders over $125). I figured it would be a cheap wind breaker but it actually looks like a nice jacket. You can choose between two jackets and a vest. I chose this one: http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-mens...0003_color=BLK

I ordered it in medium. The website didn't specify but I hope it's not an endomorph cut or else it will be more like a 3/4 sleeve belly shirt.

A couple reviews of the standard S2V boot (non-jungle) said the sole is pretty soft. I'm hoping that means it will be good on wet rock. Fingers crossed they're a winner!

Alan

**EDIT to say I was incorrect about the lower priced boots not being made in the USA. Both are made in the USA and I don't know what the difference is between the two other than the cheaper ones aren't available in my size at this time.

Last edited:
Good choice Alan. They would be my first choice. Very light, good height, great reviews and the look like they would fit like a glove. Unabashed wet footer here and value the proper footwear, for canoeing or any other activity. Enjoy!

Last edited:
New boots and jacket showed up today. Turned chilly and windy here. Well that's not quite true. It's always windy so I guess it just turned chilly. Anyway, I wasn't planning on taking them for a walk, just trying them on in the house, but Sadie had other ideas. As soon as I started putting them on she started freaking out. Way more excited than when we're just going for a walk. Like she thought we were going on a trip or something. She knows that certain articles of clothing mean different things and apparently she thinks these look like adventure boots. So I guess that's one in the plus category.

They fit well. Reviews mostly said they run large. I normally wear an 11-11.5, depending on the shoe, so I ordered 11 and they fit fine. They'll need some breaking in but hopefully after that they'll be good to go. The back of the shoes, down low, feels pretty stiff and gave me some hot spots on the back of my heel so one of us will need to break in for sure. I'm curious to see how they handle wet rocks but it was too chilly and the creek too full to go rock hopping in the stream tonight.

The jacket fits better than I feared. Girth and length are about right but the sleeves are a bit shorter than I'd like. Still wearable though and I can't complain too much about a free jacket. A large might have gotten me the right sleeve length but I'm afraid I would have been swimming in the rest of it. I got it for working in the yard and cutting up firewood in the fall. It seems to be well made and should work just fine for that purpose. My mom's comment was, "Hey, nice looking jacket. And no dog hair on it yet!"

Alan

Last edited:
My wife just today threatened to throw out my OLD New Balances. Three pair of once white walking shoes, turned river shoes. They sit outside to scare off evil spirits and mice.

Think I'll show her your new pair on line and see what she thinks of my OLD New Balances !

I like the fact that yours drain. If they keep the sand and rocks out. With decent grip, and stay on in deep muck, you may have sold me. Good to know when I come up to pick up that GP canoe, that I'm going to win, I can check them out !

Jim

My for ever favourite are still the Five Ten Water Tennie, flexible, good suport, low profile sole, super grippy on wet slimy rocks, the best river shoe I ever had!!

Good looking boot Alan. I just bought the 5.11 Quick Dry and had to return them because the run VERY small and no free coat.

You got the better deal.

Jim. You wouldn't dream of wearing your old stinky sneakers in that nice new canoe you're winning, now would you?!

I'm thinking going Bare foot !
At least until I have a few scratches on her. Ha !

Jim

Bob, I have no experience with those boots. I believe a fair number of people use wading boots for canoe tripping, mostly Chota from what I've read. One thing that makes me leery about the boots you linked to is the number of seams in the area above where your pinky toe would be. Over the years I've found this to be the first point of failure on many of my shoes/boots. This area flexes and develops a crease with every step and that seam eventually fails, sometimes sooner rather than later. I've found the footwear that's given me the best longevity doesn't have a seam there and I now make it a point to buy shoes/boots without one if possible.

But if it's a good deal than why not, you won't be out much.

Alan

I like my OTB boots. Leather like on those jungle boots would not hold up long term in the brackish environments I paddle.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Abyss-II-Tactical/dp/B00C66CTKA

I have a pair of those and like them a lot except they don't seem to be very durable. Seams started letting go (chaffed threads) a few days into a 30 day trip last summer and while they held together for the whole trip they look like they've seen better days and I wouldn't trust them on a trip longer than a week for fear they'd come apart. It also appears they're no longer being made with only limited sizes available at the few places that have any left at all.

Alan

I like the look of those Cabelas boots and they do have them here at just shy of $100. I see a road trip in my near future.

I picked up a pair of these Low Tide neoprene boots from MEC.

(Edit) I tested them out yesterday in the icy Bow River at Calgary.

These boots are very heavy-- about twice as heavy as regular rubber boots. The toe tops and sole sides are extremely grippy, which makes it very difficult to slide these boots around inside the boat-- either on the mat or on the bare hull. The sole is flexible enough to preclude entrapment, but overall they're just too grippy to enable efficient maneuvering inside the boat (shuttling of feet from under the seat to the foot pegs and back).

Normally I wear ankle-high neoprene sock-boots that are covered in Kevlar cloth-- they're soft, tough, and flexible. They slide friction-free on the mat and on the bare hull.

These China-made neoprene boots are heavy-duty, very grippy, comfortable,and waterproof! If you don't slide your feet around in the boat and weight isn't a concern, you might like these. But they're not for me.

A pair of regular black rubber boots is faster and more versatile.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hopefully this isn't a highjack...

For colder weather paddling, I still like LL Bean Maine Guide shoes. But I like the new ones less than my old ones....I had to return a pair of 10" Maine Guide Shoes because some stitching was coming undone. Instead of re-stitching, I guess Bean now just sends a new pair of boots (feel a little guilty using that warranty because the boots were several years old). Anyway, the boots I had/returned were the Maine Guide shoes with the removable gortex/thinsulate liner. I liked that the liner was removable. Was able to take it out to dry if I got snow or water over the top.

The replacement pair has the gortex/liner sewn in. Now, admittedly, you can turn the liner inside out to dry, but it's not the same as removing it. Plus, if you don't want/need the liner, you used to be able to take it out. Now you can't. I think Bean blew it on this one...

I really like my Bean boots, but I want a pair that are higher and lightly insulated, so my next pair will be 16 inches Schnee's Outfitter II...

Tell me about the "tire" tread on Bean boots and similar. How is it on different surfaces like mud, dirt, dry rock, wet rock, gravel, etc.

How waterproof are the leather uppers? If I had a pair of tall boots just shy of the knee and I waded through calf deep water for 5 minutes what could I expect?

What about breathability? Am I correct that the bottoms are rubber and thus non-breathable? Do the uppers breath enough to keep the foot bed from turning into a sauna?

Alan

Alan, The only surface I have slipped on in my Bean boots was grass, on a wet lawn, on a hill. I've never had issues of slipping on any other surface with them.

I think I called them Maine Guide Shoes in an earlier post, I meant Maine Hunting Shoes (getting my canoes and boots confused)

The Maine Hunting Shoes (boots) are the only Bean boots (I think) with waterproof upper leather. The leather can be treated on the others, but it does not come waterproof. With the Bean Maine Hunting Shoe, as long as you don't go over the top, no water will get inside, no matter how long you stand in the water.

I've never had my feet sweat badly in the Maine Hunting Shoes. Seem to breathe ok. It's not at all like wearing all rubber boots where feet boil.

These are very, very comfortable boots to wear all day.

Used to be able to get Maine Hunting Shoe in 10in, 12in, 14in, or 16in. I'm not sure they sell the 14in anymore. Only the 10in has the Gortex liner.

Last edited:
Tell me about the "tire" tread on Bean boots and similar. How is it on different surfaces like mud, dirt, dry rock, wet rock, gravel, etc.

How waterproof are the leather uppers? If I had a pair of tall boots just shy of the knee and I waded through calf deep water for 5 minutes what could I expect?

What about breathability? Am I correct that the bottoms are rubber and thus non-breathable? Do the uppers breath enough to keep the foot bed from turning into a sauna?

Alan

Super good on all surface other than super slimy rocks and wet grass.... As for breathability, I use Bama sockets in mine and my feet stay bone dry all day!!
Regarding waterproofness, when I got the boots, I sealed all the stitches with Seamgrip, and after that was dry I snowfall the leather parts and I can stand in the water for about an hour( maybe a bit more) before water start to seep through the leather but still not enough to get your feet wet. They are really great boots. And really versatile I hike in mine caribou hunting, moose hunting, I wear them paddling, I wear them in town! I really love mine!

Back