• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

trekking poles

Reaction score
I was given a pair of trekking poles for Christmas. They telescope, have shock dampening feature and two different tip baskets. They'll replace my ski poles I've used for snowshoeing. But what I've often considered is whether a pair of trekking poles might be handy for difficult portages in canoeing season. I've occasionally needed a walking stick or two, and have made do with any old fallen tree branch snapped to the appropriate length. I don't mind looking like a hermit wizard clambering along with a big knobby stick, but wouldn't a pair of ready made sticks be a wonderful upgrade? Have you tried trekking poles for canoe carries? It seems like one more gimmicky piece of gear to fasten to my pack, but I'm seriously considering taking them for a trial trip. What do you think?

My Sweetheart used a pair on our trip last September. She was nursing a bad ankle along with a painful hip and they enabled her to climb Hitchen's/Lowes Ridge. I've never used them but seeing so many folks with them, they'd have to be helpful for sure. One thing I didn't like was all the noise they made, but, they enabled MS to get the most out of our trip so I can't shun them.

took a pair up silver peak in killareny a few seasons ago -- seemed to 'help' somewhat -- jammed them under thwarts on the portages, so easy carrying, not sure i'd use them under load on a portage

I've seen those "trekking poles" in use by other people, they looked just a little flimsy. I'm probably not being fair; I use a hiking stick, pole actually, 1 1/2" dia. ash, just a little taller than me. I mounted a 3/8" steel rod in the lower end to act to stick and grip the ground kind of like a cleat. It's long enough to reach out and give me support especially going down hill and the footings not that good.
I suppose that one day I might get some use out of it as a tarp pole but it sure doesn't fold up worth beans. But then again it won't fold up under all of my weight either.

Best Wishes, Rob

I use old ski poles for backpacking. I have borrowed some of the light telescoping poles for a backpacking trip. Sand gets in the joints and they move at just the wrong time. For canoeing, which is so traditional I would cut a pole for balance on a portage before bringing trekking poles.

Trekking poles are great for almost every hiking occasion in the boonies. I can't imagine how one might use them when portaging a canoe but, when you are carrying a heavy pack, etc. across a portage, they would be of great value, i.e. stopping a fall, feeling out the depth of a water-filled trail, fending off brush in the path, etc.
Get a 3-section pole for greater colapsibility, or 2-section for greated strength. External clamps work better than internal expansion nuts for adjusting length. Best length is with forearm parallel to level ground when gripped properly. Add 10 - 15cm to length for going prolonged downhill, subtract 10 - 15cm from length for going prolonged uphill.

Trekking poles can also be used for snowshoeing, just add 10 cm to your level ground length to account for spike digging into the snow, and substitute powder basket for Summer basket.

Once you start using then you won't want to stop.

Ron

Thanks for all your experience and advice. I had no intention of using them with a canoe on my shoulders, but have needed some extra help in slippery or craggy carries with packs.

I've found a good pair trekking poles to be enormously helpful while hiking hills once I learned how to use them, especially as I've grown older. I now use them all the time on hikes.

I haven't been on any big canoe portage trips with the poles since I got them four years ago, but I don't see why they wouldn't be equally helpful when portaging packs. As to portaging a canoe, usually I have to have at least one hand on the canoe or on a rope tied to the canoe, so I probably couldn't use two trekking poles when portaging a canoe. One pole might be helpful, but I usually use a carbon paddle for that.

There's also a device to mount a video camera on a trekking pole so you can take elevated selfies of yourself.

Why not take the poles on a trip and simply form your own opinion as to whether they are useful or not? They don't weigh much.

My hiking/snowshoe companions used to think me a dinosaur for using a long staff just as described. I have made several staffs for converts.
Turtle

I have a really nice staff in the basement that I can use for hiking or portaging any time I want...never do though. I usually just grab a paddle and use that cuz I have to carry it anyways. There always seems to be more hand carry than trekking poles would allow as well. All the odd bits that dont fit in the packs.

I used to cross country ski. The poles came in pretty handy there.So maybe they are good in specific circumstances. Portaging probably isnt one of them, due to the heavier loads. Hiking on the other hand, well perhaps they would work well there.

Of course thats my opinion, I couild be wrong.

Christy

I can't quite imagining wanting to use poles on a carry. They might help when wearing a heavy pack only when multiple tripping,but not carrying my boat. Also more to carry in the canoe. I rarely go snowshoeing or hiking without my staff however. I have a long , sturdy ,heavy voyager style paddle I sometimes take instead of a staff when snowshoeing. I get some interesting looks and comments on the trail!
Turtle

Putting aside the use of trekking poles for canoe portaging, which is dubious, they are, in my opinion, far better bio-mechanically than a wooden staff for hiking.

They can adjusted for length, which you may change not only for your height but for when you are going up vs. down hills; the tips can be changed for hard or soft surfaces; and the baskets can be changed for sand, mud or snow. Most importantly for me, you can change you hand and strap positions from grip control for climbing to palm control to soften descents. The strap placements, once learned, allow you to swing the trekking poles along with your gate. Having two poles allows better gait coordination and balance than a single hiking staff. Some are carbon and weigh almost nothing.

At first I thought trekking poles were probably one of the many marginally useless or even gimmick purchases I've made in my life -- like hatchets, tarps, canoe dogs and bow paddlers -- but I've found them to be very functional for hiking.

Back