• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

Tipping outfitters and shuttle monkeys?

G

I know that tipping isn’t a universal practice, even across North America, and wonder what folks who hire outfitter shuttles, from trailered delivery to haul backs to float plane drop off or pick up, do where, and think appropriate.

I tip. Waitresses, bartenders, shuttle bunnies; in the US they may be making minimum wage, if even that as underpaid waitstaff, and tips are a big part of their livelihood.

A young minimum wage boat monkey, driving the shuttle trailer across some gawd-awful road I’m glad my truck isn’t traveling, especially if personable and revealing of some river “secrets” along the way, seems deserving of a reward beyond a “Hey-thanks” handshake.

Is tipping shuttle guys customary or expected in Canada? Or elsewhere? How much? For what service?

I’ve never used an outfitter. My “shuttle drivers” have been float plane pilots, except for that one time I flew back to Yellowknife on a commercial jet. I have never tipped these pilots. I once paid a guy to drive my van about 300 km (200 miles) to the takeout.

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a $400 cheque for a $340 bill for a our dog to stay in a kennel while we were on the Yukon River for two weeks. Lady was stunned. Said she’d never been tipped before. I said I always tip wait staff 20%, and all they do is take my order and bring my plate. You looked after my dog EVERY DAY.

In rural Saskatchewan, where I live, it is very difficult to get reliable trades people. They often won’t even come because they already have too much work. When I finally get someone who is good, I tip 15% on the labour charges. This seems to work in every body’s favour.

I always leave a tip for shuttling my car down to Allagash Village. Pellitier's Campground does a great job and their drivers are first rate.

Never even thought about it.. I figured the business factors in the money they need to pay their employees.. But then again most shuttles have been done with my car..

I use to shuttle fort an outfitter and not many people tip.... When I fly in some where I try to tip the pilote and the dock hand if there is one... Last time was on our wind river trip, after the flight back from the river(Peel) I went in the office and gave the dock hand $20 and the pilot $40... One chick that was in the office was laughing her head off as I was shaking hands with them... I came close to ask her what was her effing problem... But I didn't!

Back