• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Thoughts on a Bell Merlin ii (not that I'm looking for another canoe...)

My concern is water seeping into the fabric and causing problems. I know this is a serious concern with sea kayaks and had assumed it was the same with canoes. If the little fuzzies are okay until the winter then I'll deal with them then, otherwise I'll deal with it sooner.

That would be my concern as well. It’s hard to tell from photos how far into the fabric the wear has worn. Once you have decided on materials and methodology I’d bring the canoe into the garage, let it dry out for a week and do the scuff patch. If you are going to do it anyway sooner is better than later.

that's why I'm being a pest asking the questions and doing the research to try to use the right products, sort of like restoring and maintaining a little piece of art. Sorry for the little nostalgia trip - just wanted you guys to understand why I am gravitating towards certain directions with respect to the repairs.

Found I have a marine grade cleaner wax (forgot I had that...) I use on my sea kayaks and will see how it does on the outside of the hull. I also have an orbital buffer (have detailed cars off and on for years) so should be a short process.

There are a lot of inveterate boat builders, repairers and tinkerers here. Far from being a pest you are allowing us to vicariously come along for the refurbishment ride. 60 responses and 1200 views to a week old post is evidence of that.

Let us know how the marine wax and buffing wheel turn out. I think you’ll be pleased. Gunwale cleaning too.

Back