• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Think you all may like this...

WOW !!!

That was a trip ! He knows his way around a camera !
As a strip builder, I'm impressed. A simple craft. One portage yoke. Wide, non-tumblehomed hull, and not over 16'. I used to weave my seats with similar para cord.

Thanks for sharing Karin !

Jim

Thank you for this beautiful video.

I hope your hands are feeling better.

Some years ago I paddled this route in a group, but we did it clockwise--- yes, up the Otterslide. I really enjoy the Canoe Lake entrance to the park.

Take care.

Our last trip in the Park was along this exact route. It's a beautiful route. We lost all the photos, though they were never anything close to the stunning film and photo work Jason does. And most of all I hope he heals and recovers from the virus.

Nice way to spend the evening after coming in from the shop. It's always fun to see Sadie's reaction to hearing squirrels, ravens, and loons. They don't bother her when we're tripping but when she hears those noises in places they don't belong, like in our living room, she gets all sorts of worked up.

Lyme's disease was the first thing I thought of. Whether or not that's what it is I hope he gets it all worked out. Heard a piece about Lyme's disease last summer on NPR and it sounds like Canada has a pretty poor reputation for diagnosing and treating the disease and no one quite knows why. Lots of Canadians coming across the border for treatment.

Alan

I'm thinking Lyme also. Here in northern New England it appears to be increasing at an alarming rate My friend has it and has had to curtail most outdoor activities due to the chronic fatigue that often goes along with the other symptoms.

Dave

He's the best, I have never seen better canoetripping video's. He must be a professional photographer and his on screen antics are as good as anything I have seen on Youtube or Vimeo.
I really enjoy his work. Hope he mends completely soon.

Nice video indeed and really well edited! Look like a nice trip overall... I was wondering about the portages along the connecting creek to big trout lake it look like it is a fair size creek, why so many portages, is the creek to challenging to paddle? I'm curious, cause if there is enough water in a creek and a "clear" line, you can be sure I won't portage but paddle,track,line, pole it...

There are impassable bouldery sections in Otterslide Cr. I remember missing the (2nd I think?) portage and coming round a small bend to a rock weir. I got out to survey what lay ahead and saw a rocky drop to a boulder field ahead. It was strange because no map has it marked as a dam? Backtracking we found the take-out we had missed. There are times you can paddle and times you can't. We did wade some sections, which was fun; the boulders were fairly large in places. They were likely underwater in wetter years.
http://www.algonquinmap.com/
A satellite image shows the rock gardens but I can't link one properly here.

Last edited:
Yep - that's the best tripping video I've seen. I hope he's over the illness - it does sound like Lyme disease. Sure makes me wish it wasn't such a long drive from here (the video - not the Lyme).

Back