The easy way to portage a canoe when you are . . .

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
. . . old, weak, lazy or otherwise just hate the procedure:

Portage technique.jpg

On the right kind of portage trail, you can single carry any gear load with this technique.

But you guessed it. I fumbled the canoe onto the steel bucket loader when trying to lift it off, and put a ding in my new aramid Bob Special. (Dang ding, you ding dong!)

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glenn, I highly recommend Ken's Bolt-on Hooks for your loader bucket, especially the grab hook and clevis combo.

https://www.boltonhooks.com/

With those installed, you can use slings to carry your canoe with less risk of damage
I have hooks welded on the top edge of my loader bucket as well as a big ring. And of course I have lots of straps and rope. But I never thought of making a sling for the canoe. Thanks for the idea, UC2.

Reaction score
Glenn,

Congrats on the Bobs, one of my favorite canoes of all time, especially if tripping with a lot of gear and a dog. When you trip with it, it is gonna get some dings anyway, so no big. Interesting portage technique!

Bob.

Reaction score
I should point out the above is not my rig. This older fella showed up at the put in with it. I was very impressed.

Reaction score
. . . old, weak, lazy or otherwise just hate the procedure:

View attachment 128252

On the right kind of portage trail, you can single carry any gear load with this technique.

But you guessed it. I fumbled the canoe onto the steel bucket loader when trying to lift it off, and put a ding in my new aramid Bob Special. (Dang ding, you ding dong!)
At a club event, everybody and their brother had fold up carts, to carry their gear to the put-in. So, I bought one too, and want to rig it up so that I can put a canoe across the top and carry everything in one trip. We'll see how that goes.