• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

The 8 Best BWCA Routes

The area between Gull and Clearwater should be really rich with berries. I can't speak to fishing in those lakes.

If you really wanted to stretch yourself, there's the remnants of a portage between Clearwater and Lake Two. I've long wanted to try it and may this year.

We used Canoe Country Outfitters (CCO) last year and it was a great experience. My friend Joe only uses them, good gear and great people. I had four days of driving just to get there so was grateful to have the bunkhouse the night before departure and awesome showers and a place to sleep at the end of the trip. Free showers even if you don’t stay the night.
We are planning next September trip right now.
Jim

We used Canoe Country Outfitters (CCO) last year and it was a great experience. My friend Joe only uses them, good gear and great people. I had four days of driving just to get there so was grateful to have the bunkhouse the night before departure and awesome showers and a place to sleep at the end of the trip. Free showers even if you don’t stay the night.
Jim
second that!

Jim
I’ll third that, Bruce at CCO was great.(y)

Well, I've got my BWCA permit for June 2023. Entering at EP 14-Little Indian Sioux. Really looking forward to the 7 day trip. Already started the test kitchen of light weight foods.

Just finalizing a tentative plan. (That's like getting ready to finish - my usual response to a client asking about progress.) Enter Hog Creek, west to Bald Eagle, north to number lakes, and east to Kawishiwi, 2 miles from Hog Creek.

Have a great time Kliff. Are you going to try that long portage … or are you thinking of a different loop idea?

Hope you have a great trip!

Bob.

8 Best Canoe Routes in Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness

Our members with BWCA experience can comment on this article's apodictic assertion about "best". The article itself is divided into two 1-day trips, two 3-day trips, two 4-day trips, one 5-day trip, and one 7-day trip.

View attachment 133220
A while back I entered 'best Boundary Waters routes', or something like that, into my search engine and found a list on some outfitter's website. I'd have to try and find it again, but it seemed like a really good list.
My hips are pretty shot, so I've just about given up on ever doing another Boundary Waters trip, but I'm going to take a long hard look at my maps and see if I can find a route that only has short portages and the fewer the better. The most likely routes would probably follow one of the rivers and require a shuttle.
That's a nice photo.

Stupid article. Why publicize such things, particularly if you’re correct? The biggest challenge in BWCA is crowds. I’ll read it, and probably have more to say, but I sense an impending rant.

The crowds from my experience are a pandemic era phenomenon. And the author is just trying to make a living after all. There's lots of "best route" articles but just for the heck of it, since I started playing with ChatGPT yesterday (ain't retirement grand?) I asked what are the best routes in the bwcaw? I'll add that answer in a minute.

Me, I pick an entry point, sometimes on my way driving to BWCAW, and have a first day in mind. Take a lot of maps, and decide each evening which direction tomorrow. That's my best route.

ChatGPT
The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) offers a vast network of lakes and waterways, with many possible routes to choose from. The best route for you will depend on your skill level, interests, and the amount of time you have available. Here are a few popular routes that offer a great mix of scenery, wildlife, and paddling challenges:

The Classic Loop: This is the most popular route in the BWCAW, and for good reason. It takes you through a variety of lakes and rivers, offering stunning views and challenging portages. The loop typically starts and ends at Sawbill Lake, covering a distance of around 50 miles.

The Gunflint Trail: This route follows the Gunflint Trail from Gunflint Lake to Saganaga Lake. It offers a mix of challenging and easy paddling, with plenty of opportunities for fishing and wildlife viewing.

The Granite River Loop: This route takes you through some of the most beautiful and remote parts of the BWCAW. It starts and ends at Sawbill Lake, and covers around 45 miles. You'll paddle down the Kawishiwi River and into the wilderness, passing through a series of lakes and rapids along the way.

The Snowbank Lake Loop: This route is ideal for those who want a shorter trip (around 20 miles) but still want to experience the best of the BWCAW. It starts and ends at Snowbank Lake, and takes you through a series of smaller lakes and rivers with some challenging portages.

These are just a few of the many possible routes in the BWCAW. It's always a good idea to research your options and talk to experienced paddlers or outfitters to find the best route for your skill level and interests.

Last edited:
I am also planning this years trip to the BWCA. And also entry point #14 but heading in the end of September or early Oct, haven’t pinned down the dates yet. Any tips or suggestions?
Jim

Back