• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Taking the wife on her first trip

I'm a bit envious of those of you who share this with their wives.

Two out of three of my kids decided they like double bladed paddling and not single bladed. Going to try them out on a double blade canoe tomorrow and see how they like that. One of them will be excited, I think, by the sight of how much room her poodle gets in an open deck boat. Wife is going to do some tandem paddling with me in the "new" OT Camper 16 (Dad bought it in the 80's, used it twice, left it in the garage since... now it's mine). Just a day trip. Let's see if we can get them liking the paddling part. Then maybe I'll chance an overnighter and see what happens.

Well Lila was definitely a good time, and the wife enjoyed it immensely too, I just wish the weather would ha e cooperated a little more. We made camp at site #5, a good clearing with a nice beach. Had to cut out a day early due to weather, but we made the most of it and stayed at the Motel at Long Lake and went to the Adirondack museum the next day before making our way up to Saranac. The important think is the wife enjoyed herself and wants to do the Bog River in October with me, so that's a win. Oh, and I am very pleased with how the Penobscot handled with a sizable load as well...

No Title

Attachments

• photo7538.jpg
    photo7538.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7539.jpg
    photo7539.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7540.jpg
    photo7540.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 0
No Title

Attachments

• photo7541.jpg
    photo7541.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7542.jpg
    photo7542.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7543.jpg
    photo7543.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 0
No Title

Attachments

• photo7544.jpg
    photo7544.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7545.jpg
    photo7545.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7546.jpg
    photo7546.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 0
jish,
Glad to hear you had a good trip despite the lousy weather!
I've read other recent reports where site #5 had NO beach, the water was that high!
Did you scramble up the hillside behind you? There's some good views from there.
Nice photos, too.

Nice looking trip. Looks a bit windy in some pics but hey, as long as you are enjoying it. I prefer it a bit cooler and some rain is ok. Congrats on a successful first trip with your wife.

Christy

The first canoe camping I took my wife on was to Lila. I wasn't sure she really liked it until the paddle out where I noticed her crying. I asked her why and she said she didn't want to leave!-she was hooked.

Back