• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Sylvania or Craig Lake SP?

Reaction score
Want to do a 3-4 day solo trip in a couple of weeks, and I am trying to decide between Sylvania Wilderness and Craig Lake State Park. I know there are a few WI and MI folks here, so thought I would ask for opinions about which destination would be better.

I haven't been to either one before, and they are similar distance from me. I don't fish, so that won't be a factor. What I'm looking for is: quiet/solitude, clear water, beautiful scenery, and wildlife.

Maybe there are other places to consider as well?

Just realized that I should probably have posted this in the "canoe destinations" forum. Apologies. Maybe admin can move it?

Sylvania should be low on people and still good fishing from now until the cold weather sets in. Fall colors which are superb there, should be beginning in a couple of weeks. After October 1 the campsite fees are free.

Sylvania should be low on people and still good fishing from now until the cold weather sets in. Fall colors which are superb there, should be beginning in a couple of weeks. After October 1 the campsite fees are free.

Thanks. I was a little surprised at how many sites were already reserved in Sylvania for the dates I have (Sep 16-19). Looks like about half of them are on walk-in status, but most of the rest are reserved. For now, I've reserved the Chipmunk site, but may end up canceling if I go somewhere else instead. How private/secluded are the sites there?

How often will you be moving? Different campsite every night or base camp and explore?

My favorite out of the two is Craig Lake. Less people, no reservations. If you're basing camping it'll be better too. Day trips to Crooked Lake, Clair Lake, or exploring the rivers are all solid ways to spend the days.

My favorite out of the two is Craig Lake. Less people, no reservations. If you're basing camping it'll be better too. Day trips to Crooked Lake, Clair Lake, or exploring the rivers are all solid ways to spend the days.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I tweaked one of the bad discs in my neck yesterday, and unless I have a really quick recovery I don't think I'll be able to go anywhere now. :(

That's a bummer, hope you have a quick recovery. I'll be going there in October if you'd ever want to meet up.

That's a bummer, hope you have a quick recovery. I'll be going there in October if you'd ever want to meet up.

I'm going to wait until Wednesday to see how I'm feeling, but if I don't end up going next weekend, I'll definitely be trying to find time October to get out one last time this season. I'd actually prefer to go more often in the fall (fewer people and bugs), but it's a lot harder to get away from work and home for me.

If you wait till October I'd consider Sylvania again... just because it'd be less busy, I'd say it'd be worth checking the permits but I think October becomes a free for all with no reserved campsites (which in my mind is way better). Either would be great. I know Mid October is prime foliage at Craig Lake SP though.

Back