• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Swift Shearwater

Um The Shearwater is as heavy as it is for three reasons. Its got a tough layup..not fragile.. the wood gunwales are heavy and the sliding seat mechanism very heavy.

That said lets not forget your boat SG.. What is the pattern? Looks like a boat you dont want to heel over, looks like a lake sit and switch tripper ( but photos sometimes "lie") In the Okee you do have to heel a little (not much) to negotiate the cypress knees between Billies and Minnies Lake.

What happens if you kneel and heel the hull a little?

A good composite tripping. A good racing layup less so.

Um The Shearwater is as heavy as it is for three reasons. Its got a tough layup..not fragile.. the wood gunwales are heavy and the sliding seat mechanism very heavy.

That said lets not forget your boat SG.. What is the pattern? Looks like a boat you dont want to heel over, looks like a lake sit and switch tripper ( but photos sometimes "lie") In the Okee you do have to heel a little (not much) to negotiate the cypress knees between Billies and Minnies Lake.

What happens if you kneel and heel the hull a little?

A good composite tripping. A good racing layup less so.

It's a DY Special...sitting and heeling has its limits, generally with little warning.
Kneeling and heeling is fine, I can almost bury the gunnel before swimming.
And yeah, it's a sit n switch for sure...
I jest about the fragility of most composites, but the sub 25 or sub 20 pounders are generally delicate, unless they're 10 or 12 ft long.

Not to get too far off topic, but modern composite hulls do have great materials and designs, with price tags to match.
I build my boats for around $600, some of those comparable modern composites will put a $3,000 dent in your wallet.
Disclaimer: I make a lot of money, but I am very frugal, always have been.

I wouldn't dream of spending a ton and a half of dollars on a boat...I would be worried about every nick and dent.
My $600 hulls hold up extremely well, and even when abused, I can just patch them up, invisibly or not. Every scar tells a story!

I was looking for Solo this spring I tried a Shearwater beautiful boat carbon gunnel. It was in March so I had dry suit on. I felt like I was sitting on the top of a cork and I way 280 lbs good wind would have blown me right over I drove 5 hours to try and buy. I also tried a Wenonah wilderness that was better but I decide to just use my Quetico 17 for a solo for now. But Since I was in the area I stop at another outfitter and they had a Quetico 18.5 with the third seat whit my wife and the dogs 2 labs it is much better so instead of going home empty handed I picked it up. Wife was fine after she stopped yelling and I sold a couple more boats I am down to 10 now

Back