• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

surefire pike catching tactics

Reminds me of one Summer afternoon many years ago in Pennsylvania. I had a trout on my line, and a big bass came and ripped it right off the hook. This is a more ambitious fish than my bass foe, though.

happened to me too1 fishing in my canoe on a trip, I hooked into a nice little "hammer handle" (2' pike), all of a sudden, when it was halfway to the boat, it took a sudden HARD dive towards the bottom, smashing my knuckles on the gunwale, and almost flipping the boat, then nothing! I reeled it in, only to find out that it had a nice, crescent shaped chunk torn out of it's back clear down to the spine!

Proud muskie here for sure. :)

I've had all sorts of experiences with predator fish nabbing a caught fish on a line in both fresh and saltwater over the years too. Big bass snatching little bass and/or bluegill is fairly common. Sharks, barracuda and jewfish spoiling the deal in the salt is very common around these parts too.

Anyway, that looks to be a stud muskie and pretty big pike too. Can't help but wonder if the muskie was able to swallow the pike or not...

I found 2 dead bass in my pond. The 16 inch tried to eat a 12 inch head first and choked to death with the smaller fish about 4 inches down the bigger basses throat.

Back