• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Supermarket fatalities

Reaction score
Every time I like something for canoe tripping it eventually disappears from the shelves of the local supermarket.

Today it was Barilla dry tortellini. This has been a staple of mine for years and I like the spinach and ricotta. I add smoked clams and garlic and parm and olive oil

There is plenty of microwave tortellini and those that have to be cooked.
Has anyone bought the fresh tortellini, cooked and dehydrated it? Its not all one thickness and I think that is a problem

Other fatalities have been
Bens 100 in the small bottle. I don't want a propellant bottle.
Alessi bean and lentil soups
Foil wrapped chicken and smoked salmon. The pink salmon is not the same
Foil crab, clam and shrimp
Knorr Sides Plus veggies.. these were so good..

If Zatarains goes off the shelves, I will have to rant in the middle of the store, not here.

So there's a lady in Maine to blame for the disappearing selection on my own grocery shelves! That works for me, and that's good to know. Just do me a favour and stop liking coffee, olive oil and Parmesan so much. I've "discovered" spaghettini this year. So much finer than it's thicker cousin spaghetti, so it cooks very fast. Go ahead and love clams all you want. Blech. They're only good in paella. Heavenly yum.

So there's a lady in Maine to blame for the disappearing selection on my own grocery shelves! That works for me, and that's good to know. Just do me a favour and stop liking coffee, olive oil and Parmesan so much. I've "discovered" spaghettini this year. So much finer than it's thicker cousin spaghetti, so it cooks very fast. Go ahead and love clams all you want. Blech. They're only good in paella. Heavenly yum.

omg.. there is nothing as good as clam pizza which I have not made in the bush.
The poor cashier did ask me if I was able to find everything.. she got an earful but I was nice..
Parm keeps pretty well if you take a block and a mini grater.
I hate the stuff I find in the central aisles. It all assumes now that you don't have water to add.. I used to like perusing the non nutrish processed food areas. Now I have been banished to Asian bowls.

Kim, you have my undying sympathy. I've resorted to buying online. I get large quanitities of some things but they last me a while. Notably: #10 cans of a couple of Mountain House items; 12 lbs of hollow corkscrew fusilli pasta; Bigelow's Pomegranate Pizzazz tea; and of course Scho-Ka-Kola.
My grocery occasionally stops stocking items that had previously sold well. Wha'?

Clams on pizza? Interesting. I always thought clams were nasty creatures not really meant to be consumed, until I found them in my paella at the Club Espanol (Spanish social club Montreal), and in my seafood platter at the Chez Doval (Portugese restaurant Montreal). Bivalves can be tasty after all!
We're Parm snobs. Never touch the tubs of white sawdust. I try to grate enough for every trip, but always run out by day 3. Mini grater? Good idea.
There's a profusion of sauces in little pouches in those middle aisles. We love the East Indian selections, and like them for hasty meals at home... but I discovered a ruptured pouch in our pantry just the other day. It must have happened weeks ago because the putrid blob was making an escape and morphing as it went. Yuck. I'd hate to have to clean up leaking sauces in our food barrel on a trip. Or maybe just pass around pitas and use the food barrel as a dipping tray?

What I find baffling is that the same grocery store chain in Oneonta doesn't have the same items found at the chain store in Cooperstown; about 20 miles away. I haven't been able to find foil wrapped chicken in years here in town but last week I was in C-town and there it was with the rest of the foil wrapped meat & fish. While Oneonta is the largest community in the county, the smaller store in C-town has more selection and lots to choose from. I wonder if you hit up another grocery store or market a bit out of your area if you'd find the same thing? Might be worth a try.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

In the land of plenty you can get anything you want. As long as everyone else wants it, too.

Same thing happens all over. The big box stores should have that situation under control with their point of sale systems...if it sells, keep re-ordering. If it sits and takes up valuable shelf space, consider another product.

The local grocery manager tells me he orders what sells, but they send him what they are buying from a regional level... brilliant!

Yes, I've seen my share of mortalities as well, Nabisco? raisin crackers come to mind. However, I've seen some births in recent years. Individual serving of hummus, peanut butter, almond butter, dill pickles have been welcome new(for me) products.

I have to remind myself to every now and then make a visit to the grocery store and window shop for food that is easy to pack and prepare, so that when a trip is coming up it is already in mind.

Back