• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Sunglasses

Cheap ones. Although I've been known to wear Pit Vipers when I want to aggravate my kid.

Oh yeah!! I may need to get some of those for exactly the same purpose. Though, like many things do, this may backfire too…

Eta: shucks, the “Exciters” are available as polarized progressive Rx, but they are not ANSI safety rated.

Last edited:
Just came from the frame shop and ordered a new set of prescription sunglasses. $369 for frames and polarized lenses. I didn't think that was bad at all.

I can remember getting my first pair of glasses 30 years ago. I was about 12 and did not yet realize my dad was a fashion dud so I picked out the same frames he had. They were the cheapest frames in the store at $65. The frames I bought today were $160. I'll model them when they show up and the rest of you can pass judgements on my fashion sense.

Alan

Writing off prescription sunglasses and not being willing to spend a lot on brand names, I got THESE polarized bifocals from Amazon. They work fine, fit well, very light weight, but the reading lens is a bit small. Big enough to see something by glancing down, but not for extended reading.

I wore cheap sunglasses for years and finally was tired of having cheap optics. So finally bought some Costa Caballito and love the clarity of them.

Prescription for distance only. Just replaced my 20 year-old sunglasses (glass lenses). I use Costco. check up with a retinas scan runs about $130. Got 2 pairs of glasses for under $250.

Costco has prescription glasses at a significantly lower price than other stores in town. Not a great selection of frames, but I found ones that work for me. Even though my prescription has been changing more lately (the Dr. says cataracts can do that) I splurged and got 4 pairs last month. Got two pairs of bifocals for outdoor activities, one polarized and one clear, with minimal reading area and two pairs of progressives, one that they called "multifunction" with a small distance area at the top like what Scoutergriz described and a large middle area for computer focus and the other pair more normal progressives with the top half for distance. With their $40 off each additional pair special the total was just under $500.

I need cheaters to read maps and the buttons on the Garmin Inreach Explorer. I don't leave home without my Costa Sunglasses though. I have lost a pair of Costas on a canoe trip and it hurt the wallet, however immediately upon returning home I bought another pair because they work so well for me. I enjoy the polarization and clarity that the Costa brand provides.

Yesterday I had my annual appointment with my ophthalmologist. When I told him I am retired and planning on doing significantly more paddling, he told me to get polarized sunglasses.

Back