• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Stewart River 14' Solitude

Reaction score
Not my listing, but I couldn't help but post it here for the admirers of w/c canoes. Highly respected builder. Perhaps an ideal solo canoe for a smaller paddler. Note the builders' description mentions extended trip use.

That would be a perfect boat for me, it's too bad I'd probably "destroy" (still repairable) it pretty quick!

I could actually portage a 40lb boat, my ~60lb Royalex tubs are getting to be over my limit.

You people on this forum are the worst! I finally broke down and upgraded from royalex to composite and now you're tempting me with this?

Anyone know the optimum weight capacity for this model? How much upkeep is a w/c for someone that's used to royalex?

I have a 14’ Chestnut Fox reproduction which was built lightweight, 43 1/2 lbs. I don’t know the weight capacity but it had no problem carrying me (6’-225 lbs) with two Duluth packs in some big water.
Like my Fox, I would say the canoe above is not built for hard use. No doubt the ribs and plank are thin to get the weight down, and I doubt whatever he used to cover the hull with is not as robust as traditional canvas let alone royalex. (Some would debate this statement, just my opinion)
It’s a great little lake to lake solo canoe, pretty much requiring indoor storage imo.
His workmanship is second to none.

D108FE5B-BBE9-42B3-B7B3-7ACA5734B56E.jpeg

I posted the canoe because I'm having a hard time NOT buying it! In spite of being a notorious tightwad with my money, I believe this is a good deal. I always wet-foot my canoes; landing, loading/unloading, and launching so I would never abuse the hull. It would last me a long time, then simply re-canvas it since I don't know anything about the Dacron skin this canoe likely has. The claimed 40 lbs. weight is very attractive.

I'm only 150 lbs. and pack light so capacity is not much of a factor for me. This would likely be an outstanding canoe for the many ponds of the Adirondacks which are my primary paddling venue.

With regard to capacity, the builder notes: "Solitude is shorter than the Unity yet is fuller in the ends and deeper, giving it plenty of volume for day use and extended trips as well."

Hello, I saw this boat the minute it posted. I contacted the sell and made plans to kill two birds with one stone. Pick up the boat and go to the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association Assembly at Paul Smiths College. Picked up the boat late Wednesday night and paddled it the last two days at the assembly. It is now safe and sound in its new home in western PA. Beautiful boat. Paddles so nice. What a work of art.

I ended up reaching out to the seller as well, but you beat me to it! My only regret is that we missed each other at the Assembly. Happy paddling, she's a beaut!

Back