• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Square Sterns for Hunting and Fishing.

G

Having done the search for the "perfect" fishing platform, I know there isn't one. I thought a canoe would be it, getting me into the little strip mines and out of the way ponds and it served fairly well, but it wasn't as good as a jon boat for comfortable fishing. But it was a great canoe for recreation and I made some mods that allowed me to fish it fairly well.

BUT I allowed the allure of a fishing boat to seduce me away from the canoe. To assuage my desire for a light, personal water craft that I could fish, I went with a sit on top kayak and called it good.

Still, I wanted a platform that I could bring guests along to those hard to reach honey holes. However, I wanted the option of putting an engine on it to get to those far-away places or more importantly, get back to the truck quickly when weather threatened.

So, I bought a square stern Old town

Yes, I know square sterns aren't "good" paddling canoes, but it seems to do alright on day trips when stripped of the "mechanical" conveniences and if the rear paddler knows how to direct the bow. No, it's not a svelte wraith slipping through the quiet waters...but hey, I'm old. I don't need a wraith...I need a milk maid!

Any other square stern guys and gals?

I don't have one yet, but I posted some thoughts about the one I would like to get someday here http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/showthread.php?535-Smaller-Square-Stern-canoe

Since my interests lie with wood canvas canoes I would feel right at home in a square stern wood canvas canoe, especially if I built it. I always liked and drove pick up trucks but never cared for extended cabs, I always had regular cabs. Then along comes 7 grandkids and I need a place for them to sit on our outtings so I bought a extended cab this year. I'm trying to be flexable and more in tune with my inner self these days. (WHAT:confused:)
Same as the square stern canoe, I need something the kids can move around in a bit while fishing, maybe a canoe I can take on a road trip to the big lakes north of Manitoba and putt around when the portage trails loose thier appeal. I can see a square stern in the future, but I will always keep my other canoes with pointed ends.

I don't have one yet, but I posted some thoughts about the one I would like to get someday here http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/showthread.php?535-Smaller-Square-Stern-canoe

Since my interests lie with wood canvas canoes I would feel right at home in a square stern wood canvas canoe, especially if I built it. I always liked and drove pick up trucks but never cared for extended cabs, I always had regular cabs. Then along comes 7 grandkids and I need a place for them to sit on our outtings so I bought a extended cab this year. I'm trying to be flexable and more in tune with my inner self these days. (WHAT:confused:)
Same as the square stern canoe, I need something the kids can move around in a bit while fishing, maybe a canoe I can take on a road trip to the big lakes north of Manitoba and putt around when the portage trails loose thier appeal. I can see a square stern in the future, but I will always keep my other canoes with pointed ends.

Or in eastern Maine. I forsee a Grand Laker in your future. They are beautiful and wood and canvas.

I can just imagine one sitting at my dock. Where can I get one cheap?

For many years, I had a big 20 foot square stern, made out of fiberglass. Weighed about 200 pounds. I was younger and stupider then, so the weight didn't bother me. I had a little 3 horse spinner, and I took that thing everywhere. It was extremely sea worthy, and many fish saw the bottom of that canoe. In a fit of stupidity, I sold it for 200 bucks, a move I still regret.

Well, since all my friends are getting philosophical today; Robin, I too get in touch with my inner self and I can tell you it's not nice, usually it's because I've eaten beans or cabbage. Not for nothing do I go solo.
Memaquay, what you describe is one of those classic danged if you do and danged if you don't situations. You sold your canoe; over the years I've gotten rid of guns that I so wish I'd held on to. What was I thinking; not much as usual.
HOWEVER: scraps of wood, leather and camping gear (good and bad) I keep them all and haven't the faintest idea where what is. Remember Fibber Mcgee's closet? It's worse than that.
Ah well, if fools were painted white we'd all look like a flock of sheep.

Best Wishes, Rob

I've outfitted this boat with a 2.5 hp Suzuki, a trolling motor, outriggers and a casting floor. Hardly resembles a canoe when she's ready for a day on the lake chasing fish...but before any of you scream out sacrilege..., I can take everything off it in 10 minutes and it is once again just a square stern boat, though it's plastic and not wood and canvas.

Hmm..... I don't know Robin, do you suppose that's the barn it was in storage in for all those years? 'Most times I like to look people in the eye while talking to them, shoot! I don't know for sure where that guy's head is! Maybe he's in that witness protection?

I was talking with someone the other day and he said that soon the 2-cycle outboards will be a thing of the past, something about the EPA ruling them out. Is that true? Small 4-cycle kickers are made but they are a bunch heavier. Food for thought, well, crumbs anyway.

Best Wishes, Rob

I have heard that story about snow machines. As a matter of fact I don't think you can buy new 2 stroke snow machines that I am aware of. It's only a matter of time before outboards go the same way.

Hey Robin, Rob...

Turns out our Y-stern is a Chestnut, or at the least, built on a Chestnut mold. Will be for sale in the spring/early summer. We need to do one rib, reface the transom and re-canvas.

Robin
I'll let you know when I figure it out but I would imagine the stem portion below the transom would be the same as any other stem seam and then affix the canvas behind the transom and cover it with the new wood, seal the edges is the likely way to go about it.

I can see an area that might prove to be difficult to get the canvas flat against the hull.

Hi Mihun 09, That part "difficult to get the canvas to lay flat" maybe you've seen those inflatable "pillows" that the rescue guys use to raise something off the victim? Couldn't you use a small inter tube or maybe those big exercise balls that inflate? Of course you'd need to block the thing tight to the hull before you put the air to it.

The other way that might be worth a try; you'd need a small hole through the wood in the center of that scooped in part, cover the outside with light plastic and mask down the edges. Your shop vac connected to the hole on the inside. I know that it seems loony tunes that the weak vacuum from the shop vac might be enough to provide the required suction, but the times I've actually used such a rig it has really impressed me.
Actually, given that the shop vac is high volume/low pressure pump you could in theory, enclose the whole boat in a big plastic bag, and evacuate the air out rather quickly. That way you wouldn't need the hole in the wood hull.

Just some idle thoughts.

Best Wishes,

Rob

Is it possible to buy an attachment to put on the back of a V style stern so you can attach a motor?

Sure, you could make or purchase a mount that clamps to the gunwales that allows a motor off to the side, either gas or electric.

The Scott Hudson Bay 21' canoe is very popular here and in YT as well as the Grumman 19' square stern.

To handle our fast, glacier fed rivers, these canoes usually get powered by larger outboards. The larger canoes
came about because of the need to bring moose meat out of the bush.

Here's a Chestnut Ogilvy on eBay for $3475 or bo, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chestnut-O...199253?hash=item3ae8e18e15:g:WfsAAOSwPK1ZUrqr,

I bought some Chestnut paddles from this guy, nice man.
s-l225.jpg

Back