• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Square Sterns for Hunting and Fishing.

Deerfly,
Many days of travel in a Grumman just like that.....with jacklift too!

Robin,
That's a beautiful Chestnut and the condition really appears pristine. Way too nice for our
shallow, rocky rivers.

I have my Dad's old fiberglass square stern 17 footer and the Johnson 2 HP he ran on it. Pretty nice to zip around a small lake or on rivers and kt has a high curved bow for the waves. You can carry a good amount of gear and get off a lake quick if weather turns bad, as was stated earlier.

OP - where are you located? I am in Portage.

Last edited:
Some of you have seen this before...this is the one i built last year, more fun than a barrel of monkeys with my mighty 2.5 horse suzuki.
Ow1AH4U.jpg

"Many days of travel in a Grumman just like that.....with jacklift too!" Vern thats my buddies ride. He lives in N. Pole AK, gets a l lot of use out of it up there.

Mem, I'm tempted to build one like that for tooling around in the everglades and some of the more expansive estuaries we have around these parts

Deerfly,

Robin,
That's a beautiful Chestnut and the condition really appears pristine. Way too nice for our
shallow, rocky rivers.

It's built for shallow rocky rivers, New Brunswick and Maine has plenty. Although that canoe is original and pristine, those stout ribs 1/2" apart, extra thick plank and #8 canvas makes for a tough canoe which can be restored to as good as new after years of hard use.
Plus it's a whole lot nicer to look at than plastic or aluminium.

It's built for shallow rocky rivers, New Brunswick and Maine has plenty. Although that canoe is original and pristine, those stout ribs 1/2" apart, extra thick plank and #8 canvas makes for a tough canoe which can be restored to as good as new after years of hard use.
Plus it's a whole lot nicer to look at than plastic or aluminium.

Gotta agree Robin! Grummans don't draw much attention for beauty and craftsmanship!

There is an 18 foot Pete square stern with sponsons on Winnipeg kijiji for $1900. They have been trying to sell if for the past three years. Looks ok for an original.

On Easter weekend my daughter-in-law told me she and her hubby were considering a travel trailer. He's still game for tenting etc but she's not having any of that. I did my subtle best to sway her towards a boat instead, a nice square stern for fishing and puttering around a local lake. Seeing as they both like to fish, I thought I was talking a lot of sense. I might have been a little self serving, maybe just a little. Afterall it makes no sense for them to buy a trailer I'll never use, but a nice little boat and motor would be perfect. Entirely logical, no? Well I ran it up the old flag pole but she never saluted. Maybe I was too subtle.

And.... I buy another boat.

My nephews have been banging around NC outer banks the last few years and one is moving to NC this summer. While getting to know locals in the Pamlico Sound, they got turned on to Gheenoes as flats and river boats. Seeing as the wind can blow the water out of Pamlico to less than 2' deep, they have been great. After seeing what they can do with their 15.5 ' boats I started wanting to trade my square stern for one. Well, a "Model 15 4 Highside" just came up for sale near enough and cheap enough so I couldn't pass it up. It will need a little clean up and modding out for ducks, but will be a lot more stable with Thor Labrador in the boat.

As I am only 11 months from mandatory retirement, this seemed like a necessary purchase. Those fly rods and shotguns don't operate themselves......

Well, since all my friends are getting philosophical today; Robin, I too get in touch with my inner self and I can tell you it's not nice, usually it's because I've eaten beans or cabbage. Not for nothing do I go solo.
Memaquay, what you describe is one of those classic danged if you do and danged if you don't situations. You sold your canoe; over the years I've gotten rid of guns that I so wish I'd held on to. What was I thinking; not much as usual.
HOWEVER: scraps of wood, leather and camping gear (good and bad) I keep them all and haven't the faintest idea where what is. Remember Fibber Mcgee's closet? It's worse than that.
Ah well, if fools were painted white we'd all look like a flock of sheep.

Best Wishes, Rob

This is just like looking in the mirror...scary stuff, indeed. But laugh out loud funny.

Especially the part about the sheep and the white paint. Hey, that reminds me of a story, it goes like this, "....

And.... I buy another boat.

While getting to know locals in the Pamlico Sound, they got turned on to Gheenoes as flats and river boats. .

Dan, I owned a highsider for several years, they are excellent skinny water craft and can't take some chop too, but you'll need full rain gear to stay dry. :)
Very, very stable with fidgety kids or dogs for sure. It was so easy to pole I think I owned it nearly 2 years before I bothered putting an engine on it. Did about 14mph with the 5hp and run all day on a gallon of gas.

Attachments

• photo9937.jpg
    photo9937.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9938.jpg
    photo9938.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9939.jpg
    photo9939.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9940.jpg
    photo9940.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo9941.jpg
    photo9941.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 1
Cleaned it up and took it out for a run with a 2 horse. Got up to about 8MPH with 2 big guys and a Brittany in it. At top speed, I could stand up in the center of the boat no problem. This is going to be a fun boat.

Attachments

• photo10008.jpg
    photo10008.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo10009.jpg
    photo10009.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 0
Deerfly - Great Photos, Thanks! Those kids look like they are having a blast catching those redfish!

I have 2 nephews who bought an old Duck Hunting Lodge on an Island in Pamlico Sound, NC. They have a few Gheenoes for that shallow sound. I'll trailer it down there and around the barrier Islands for fishing the salt and shooting ducks and geese. I plan on keeping it pretty plain, with a live well in the center seat area, a bilge pump in the back and extended tiller steering on an Outboard I can carry easily. Maybe add a grab bar. The 2 HP is OK, but I have an eye on a 4 HP thats up for sale and would like a 6 to 8 HP for the salt.

Back