• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Spirit II vs. Prospector 17

I wish, but Swift canoes are too expensive. I also want something with the durability of T-Formex.

Mad River made the 17' Revelation in RX which was essentially a scaled up version of the Explorer. I had one of these that now lives at my neighbors house. Its a very maneuverable beast of a canoe that can hold a ton. I see them all the time, used, in any condition but almost always less than $800. Another option is the OT Disco 169. These canoes can take a beating. I have one permanently stored at a friends house that I bought new in 1987. It has been used and abused by many families on local rivers as well as at least 25 trips on the Green River in Utah. The last time I saw it, it didn't look much different than when I had it 30 years ago. These can be had for $500 every day of the week. Of course these 2 canoes are heavy, but not much if any more than the other things you're looking at.

Mark

Found this.

Well, I finally purchased an Esquif Prospecteur. REI finally showed their P16 in stock on their website. Shipping to the local store is free, so that saves me a ton of money. It is supposed to arrive on March 30. Not sure if it was coincidence, but I had some interaction with Esquif on facebook about having trouble. The next day it comes up available after REI had told me it would be at least 30 days.

I’d do the P17 for moving water. The Spirit II is a fine lake boat.
I ended up ordering the Esquif P16. REI got it in stock. It ships free to their local store, so that saved me a ton in shipping. It arrives in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to get it wet!

Back