• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Socks for Christmas Again?

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
A couple years ago Canoe Trippers came through with suggestions for decent quality wool socks. Durays; we are all still happily wearing them.

https://www.canoetripping.net/threads/stocking-stuffers-for-outdoors-folks.101514/#post-101871

We are practical gift givers, and “Smartwool” or other Marino socks are always well received and oft worn, enough to get worn out.

Suggestions for ordering Marino socks? Lots of size 12 and 13 in my family (excepting the Missus). On-line, I’m about done with brick and mortar retail for the season unless it is hardware or liquor store needs.

BTW, the “New to me tea” thread provided some ideas for the tea drinking Missus’ Christmas stocking. Barry’s Gold, and Rooibos.

Yes, we do stockings. Stockings are still the best part of Christmas. As a kid mine weighed 20lbs, filled with ammunition.

Thanks.

My son got me two pair of American Trench socks last Christmas. I've since bought 14 pairs - all black - and have gotten rid of my other socks (except a few pair of the really large heavy boot socks). Highly recommended. Also no more orphans in the dryer!

I looked at the American Trench sock pages, which model of sock are the ones you are ordering? Lots of stuff on their site I would like to find under the Christmas Tree (ventilated field jacket) at our house.

For years I was as bit of a sock snob and wore pretty much nothing but Smart Wool and their ilk.
Then one day I was in the hardware store and they had some cotton (75%) Red Wing socks on sale. I bought a bag and haven't looked back. They're now my year round every day sock and I'm not so sure I'd go back to wearing Smart Wool everyday even if they weren't so expensive.
They're warm and comfy but not too warm in the summer. Biggest down side is they don't have the sex appeal (plain white) but my dog and cat aren't complaining and I have no one else to impress.
They don't get stinky and crusty like I remember happening with cotton socks but I think much of that is a change in footwear as I now wear plain leather shoes/boots with no waterproof/resistant linings, which has made a big difference in comfort.
Not really suggesting you buy everyone cotton socks, just wanted to start a little thread drift. :)

Alan

I only gave socks last year. Try grip6.com socks, made in Utah. They are merino grown and made in the rocky mountains and have the full lifetime warranty. I used the heck out of them this summer and they seem to be wearing well.

I give socks out every year as a gift, to my immediate family. There’s Several names out there now as well as blends. Smartwool has gone too funky for me, I only get their classic hike/trek socks. I have moved to other names, still a fan of Darn Tough, and Farm to Feet. I did find a 6 pack of high merino content classic “work” style socks at Costco, received them from my brothers girlfriend as a gift.

You can notice the difference in them in comparison to a nicer name, but at $15 for 6 pairs, they’re good knock around socks. And actual decent.

Otherwise. Look into farm to feet. Fits. And darn tough. You won’t go wrong with any brand you choose, really. But keep in mind that Nee Zealand merino wool is the softest out of the four types of merino.

I just got some Duluth Trading merino socks. They are 50% wool, thinner than a medium weight but thicker than a cotton dress sock. I wore them the other day with my uninsulated Xtra Tuff rubber boots. Temps were below freezing in the am and never warmed above the mid 40s. My feet were warm and never felt clammy and I must have had them on for over 12 hours, so I'm very happy.

They are 7.99$ a pair but the dark green in my size were on sale, buy two get one free, so I got three pair. They might not be as life changing as their 22.50$ Buck Naked underwear but they come close.

For years I was as bit of a sock snob and wore pretty much nothing but Smart Wool and their ilk.
Then one day I was in the hardware store and they had some cotton (75%) Red Wing socks on sale. I bought a bag and haven't looked back. They're now my year round every day sock and I'm not so sure I'd go back to wearing Smart Wool everyday even if they weren't so expensive.
They're warm and comfy but not too warm in the summer. Biggest down side is they don't have the sex appeal (plain white) but my dog and cat aren't complaining and I have no one else to impress.
They don't get stinky and crusty like I remember happening with cotton socks but I think much of that is a change in footwear as I now wear plain leather shoes/boots with no waterproof/resistant linings, which has made a big difference in comfort.
Not really suggesting you buy everyone cotton socks, just wanted to start a little thread drift. :)

Alan
I felt the same way about smart wool type socks until I got a cheap pack of cotton ones that worked really well probably 95% of the time.

If I were going on an extended trip where I would need to do laundry I wouldn't take cotton.

I've been wearing the CF issue socks for years (for some reason I still got my annual allotment after I resigned as instructor) They're made by Duray, they're inexpensive and can be bought in different weights. the Iceberg is equivalent to the "extreme weather" issue at 85% virgin wool, and the Avalanche is the same as the cold weather issue at 60% virgin wool. Both socks have some nylon/ spandex to help maintain their shape, they've quickly became my friends' favourites too if I gifted them a pair.