• Happy National Scotch [Whisky] Day! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🥃🚱

Skid plate suggestions

Thanks for that Nick Not sure exactly how I came to think that epoxy formed a wax but more than likely from some friends that worked extensively with poly resin 40 +or- years ago, and I must have just attached the idea to epoxy in my alleged mind. Wherever i got the false idea, it included cleaning the "wax" off with solvent. But looking at the West Systems site it seems that "Amine blush, a byproduct of the epoxy curing process, may form under certain conditions. This waxy film is water-soluble, but many organic solvents are ineffective for removing it." In any case, sanding thoroughly is good advice, and West says not to worry too much about getting all of the dust off since it will act as filler. Reminds me of my theory that painting over spider webs "reinforces" the paint. Better than thinking I'm too lazy to remove them. LP
LP,
I think that "waxy film" detail is just a descriptive term the Gougeon's use for their WEST System weakness as there should be no true wax involved. I think further applications of their product would even stick, though the blush would still show as that foggy, almost paraffin-looking and feeling layer. Maybe not stick as well? Wash and sand. Any true wax wouldn't wash off with water, either. The friends I knew who were building strip boats, switched from WEST to some other brand(s) of resin (commonly System Three???) to avoid that amine blush. I could still see using WEST as repair material or for skid plates. I'd avoid the Kevlar felt as many advise, go the dynel route instead. I don't know how long-lasting Jim Dodd's polyester fleece would be. It's a sacrificial layer like all of the others, aramid, plyester, or acrylic (dynel), so helpful in any case. Whatever the fabric, don't forget the Gflex as it will improve bonding to the ABS/vinyl of the boat hull tremendously (don't ask how I know! < G >). Good luck with the project.

Back