• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Sin - or- how to violate a canoe

Ya, um, about that thunderbox thing.......there ain't none up this way, it's the good old squat drop and roll kinda thing. But I like your way of thinking with the beer thing.

Ya, um, about that thunderbox thing.......there ain't none up this way, it's the good old squat drop and roll kinda thing. But I like your way of thinking with the beer thing.

So what you're saying is I've gotta go out an find a trowel that matches my wife's outfit.

Tough to trowel on rock. More like flip up a piece of moss and then place on top when you are done.

I am a self admitted gear junky, but favour functional and durable over looks or style. I have been canoeing in the same shirt for 10 years. It's a quick drying button down fishing shirt with certain features I find functional and what can you say about durable after wearing for 10 years. I have a tilly style that I bought 15 years ago and it's still going strong but looks every bit as it should after 15 years of fanning fires, soaking my overheated head and getting stepped on while it played on the floor of my truck.

But what is a paddle sock for?

Paddle socks are to protect your paddle during transport, be it banging around in a truck or flying to a far place

I recently bought a paddle that came with a sock, it stayed on from the store to the put-in and hasn't been back on since. I thought the paddle was sufficiently beat up during the trip that anything it might incur during transport would be minor/negligible by comparison. :D

My pet peeve is the radio in the canoe, I don't want to hear anything but the wind and water when I'm paddling. I have actually taken a weather radio on a trip or two but it's reserved for turning on, hearing the weather (read can't get a signal so quickly give up) then turning back off. I might add that when I do that the volume is not up to 11.

Not getting feet wet! People trying too get in and out of a canoe without touching water. arraragh! Drives me insane (although its legit when its snowing out!).

Fancy colours? What's wrong with colour? I try and buy bright colour stuff cause otherwise I look like a boring old turtle turd. Men's clothing is too often black, gray or brown...so boring.

Paddle socks on a portage? what?

When travelling with the students, I keep 25 foot lining ropes on each canoe at all times. Each spring I carefully check the bungees to make sure the ropes will stay neatly coiled and out of the way. And the on every trip, going over the portages, half the canoes will be trailing the ropes or have them tangled in a big mess simply because they are too lazy to recoil them and stuff them back under the bungee after use. Arggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

[h=2]Sin - or- how to violate a canoe
[/h]
Ok, I've got the top sin/violation that can't be topped: "It's so pretty I can't bring myself to use it for fear of putting a scratch on it"

Alan

Pretty much anything can set me off and have been told people feel pretty much the same way about me and my outfit...! Go figure.

Current itches are folks who have $$$ invested in their outfits what I have in my old car!
Second, electronics. Radios, phones, tablets, powered speakers...please keep them to yourself...why did you leave home?! (and I regulary listen in camp either softly or on headphones, so there...)

Great big ugly Kevlar skid plates!!!!

Alan

How about showing up at the waters edge with this as your seat?

Seat.jpg

I just bought a used Swift canoe whose 2nd owner made this modification when the seat blew out. He liked it so much it added it to the other seat. Since this canoe was left outside and on the ground this boat needs some attention. I'll start another thread on some gunnel issues I'm facing with this rebuild.

Otter.jpg

Speaking of wet feet, as we were on our last portage in Algonquin 2 weeks ago there were two canoes putting in when we were taking out and the group was 4 late teen/early 20's boys, and they loaded their rental canoes on dry land, the bow paddler got in and the stern paddler tried to push it in the water, after that didn't work they put the the bow in about 2" of water both paddlers got in and started scooting in their seats trying to make it move. The other boys had a similar experience. My wife and I just shook our heads, and decided they're in for a rough time if they plan on never touching the water.

I have had two Tremblays that someone did that too .....I just cringe at the idea.

Try this one though.....people that take the canvas off a wood canvas canoe and apply clear epoxy instead with every butt ugly chunk of planking that was never meant to see the light of day plainly visible.

Back