• Happy National Drink Beer Day! 🍺→🚽→🤪

Show us pictures of your canoe vehicle with boat(s)

Reaction score
Rhinorack HD bar on the cab, Spring Creek T-bar hitch on the back end. I scored the 71” HD bar for $18 off etrailer and the Spring Creek T-bar is extendable to 96” I believe. Enough to carry 2 boats. I suppose if I staggered the boats and they were solos I might be able to get 3 up there?

B8727905-EF5E-4F22-AF85-A64EAC7512C3.jpeg
DCE86EB4-7D26-4A69-9BE7-ABE97DB605F7.jpeg

Reaction score
Yeah, I have locks. Just worried they'll tear them off. When I used a goal post hitch rack, I stored it under the cap. Now I can't give that damn thing away.
I have used yakima bars since the early 80’s. I am too deep in add-ons to even consider other types. I have used the rails on many vehicles with success even though Yak says they won’t fit. Sometimes I had to take the rail mounts apart and then install them but it works. Looking at your Suburu I’m not sure most would fit. Next time I see an Outback I will pay more attention. I have used the same set of Yak rail mounts on a BMW wagon, three 4Runners, Sequoia, Suburban and Acura wagon. I use the 78” bars and I have some that are shorter from removing the rusty ends. I have locks but seldom use them. Happy trails

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Transporting heavy wood-canvas canoes by car was so much easier for my grandfather than me.

It's well known how the car industry has conspired over the decades to make it more difficult and impractical to attach canoes to cars. By ridding cars of rain gutters and then bumpers they callously made car-topping so much more complicated and expensive. But the tectonic change was when they contemptuously eliminated fenders to make car-siding impossible.

Grandpa's fender lift technique was such an easier battle against gravity.

carsiding.jpg

Reaction score
Transporting heavy wood-canvas canoes by car was so much easier for my grandfather than me.

It's well known how the car industry has conspired over the decades to make it more difficult and impractical to attach canoes to cars. By ridding cars of rain gutters and then bumpers they callously made car-topping so much more complicated and expensive. But the tectonic change was when they contemptuously eliminated fenders to make car-siding impossible.

Grandpa's fender lift technique was such an easier battle against gravity.
Carefully plan those left turns!

Nowadays the sheet metal is so thin even if we had fenders they'd oilcan under a kevlar boat.