• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

​Shifting to winter

I closed up the beehives (only two first year hives) and have been winterizing a lot of things here and at MS's house. Along with cutting and splitting firewood for MS. Thankfully she does the stacking.

I only saw snowflakes one day but nothing stuck.

Winters have been pretty harsh up here last couple years too. This one looks like it might be the longest yet. We had snow in October that stayed, we've been down into the -30's already a few times. Yesterday was beautiful though, and we managed to go skiing by moonlight, first ski of the year.

I set up a big wall tent in my back yard a couple of weeks ago. I had never set one up with walls so high, they are around six feet. Proved to be a little bit of a challenge, but it was worth it. The night of my birthday party, we had over 20 people in it. Last night I had a few friends over after skiiing, when I started the stove it was close to -20 in the tent, ten minutes later I was sweating in my T shirt. I really do like winter!

I really like it when the smoke goes straight up.

Had to do some creative roping to get those six foot walls stretched out. It wasn't my normal 9 pole set up.

It was toasty in there, a couple of bottles of wine consumed before we left.

It's Saturday afternoon, and that can mean only one thing in early December. Stripperguy's just coming in from skiing all day, Mihun's warming up the car for the cold Monday morning commute, and memaquay's firing up the woodstove in his backyard canvas Zen space. Oh yeah, the one thing for me in December?
The one thing I usually do on a Saturday afternoon in early December, is go on a hunt for where I stashed the Christmas tree- in- a- box. Or at least I used to do, until this year. I forgot we'd given it to my wife's office last year after Christmas. The ladies there were ecstatic. They finally had a tree to decorate in the front lobby, even if it was a fake one. But I'd forgotten all that, and so when my wife saw me pulling on my boots this morning and grumbling, she asked me if I was going to work. I replied I was going to check the back shed for the plastic pipe cleaner Christmas tree-in-a-box. "We gave it to the office, remember? You said you wanted a real tree this year." YEEHAW!! And so that's where we went today, on this mild green December day.
But first we had to go to a pottery show & sale. $$ ouch. Oh well, it was for a good cause, and some proceeds go to the local food bank. That's good. Many of these items will be wrapped and tucked under the tree. Oh yeah! The tree! Time to get the tree? Nope. Not yet.
Next we had to go fetch more yarn for my wife's knitting projects. The store is located on the edge of town, so there's nowhere to wander while she's inside doing her yarn selecting. I could just sit in the car, but I don't mind being nosey and going in to see inside the more feminine world of quilting-sewing-knitting-arts and crafting stuff. (I know. Guys do this too. I'd love to design my own quilt, or knit my own toque.) As we crossed the parking lot I lost count of the number of gents sitting in their cars waiting for their better halves. All those old ducks, lined up in a row; all their beady eyes focused on the front door just willing their wives to come out. I'm glad I followed my better half inside. There was a lot of neat things to see. I helped her pick out stuff. "That's a nice colour. I'd wear that. Those would make nice socks for me. I like this sweater pattern. Why don't you make a quilt with this material? I need another toque, but in this wool colour."
I'm told I might have to wait in the car next time.
Finally we went and got our tree. From a tree farm, where I played with a Lab puppy and smelled fresh air as we walked. Not from a big boxstore aisle, where customers look cranky and staff sound tired.
A real tree. A real boxless tree. A real boxless tree that smells like...Balsam.
December is starting out pretty good. I'm feeling better already about my shift into winter. Now if only it would snow, just a bit.

Last edited:
I finished remodelling the faux fireplace today into a more modern TV and Audio stand before dragging the tree in a box down from upstairs. Christine spent the afternoon in the crawlspace under the kitchen floor finishing the insulation.

Mem has the woodstove sitting on the pad where the Summer fireplace would be, so it is kind of a karma thing going there. I would like to see him packing that tent into the canoe for a late fall trip.

Nice of you to get a live tree Brad, I used to walk into my backyard (25 acres) and cut my own. It is best to give them a smell before cutting though, you never know what might have used that tree previously.

Snow tonight and tomorrow and now highs of +5 and +6 for late next week. Might be able to do a fire in the back yard before Christmas.

Nice of you to get a live tree Brad, I used to walk into my backyard (25 acres) and cut my own. It is best to give them a smell before cutting though, you never know what might have used that tree previously.

I didn't mean to sound so mean about artificial trees. We've had two artificial Christmas trees over the years, and they were both hand me downs. Imagine that. Hand me down second hand Christmas trees. But that's the way it goes sometimes. We made do. We made do rather happily. We didn't always have a car during our younger city living days, so driving anywhere was sometimes out of the question. Having a tree-in-a-box was perfect for us. Our first very own Christmas tree, wasn't a tree at all. It was mean't to be, but it didn't quite work out that way, but we made do.
We spent our very first Christmas on a farm outside the quaint village of St Adolphe de Dudswell. My wife had serious trouble in her 8th month of pregnancy, and was admitted to the hospital in Sherbrooke. The staff were wonderful, and I was scared stupid. I nearly lost the two stars in my heaven that first week of December, but as it happens, M and our little premie baby both pulled through. She came home, but he stayed in hospital. Of course we made the daily drive to spend all day long by his cot. There was no thought to Christmas or trees or presents or anything really, besides what lay in that little cot. On Christmas Eve we got the call, we could come and bring home our little miracle. When we got back to the farmhouse, I realized we didn't have a bed for him. The cradle my parents had mail ordered hadn't arrived yet. So M made up a dresser drawer for him. He slept in a drawer right next to our mattress, both on the floor. That evening I finally thought of a Christmas tree. Living on a 100 acre farm with fields and forest all around posed no dilemma where to find a tree. There were trees anywhere, everywhere! So I bundled up and put on my snowshoes for a winter search for a tree. I still remember standing in the depths of winter near midnight, feeling weightless between a blanket of snow round my feet and a blanket of stars round my head. I at last found the perfect tree, right on the forest edge. It was not too tall and not too short. Just perfect. Pulling off my pack to start work, I took a step back and looked up. What a wondrous deep velvet sky full of lights! Christmas lights. I prayed and gave thanks for what I had and for what I had been given. I slung my pack back on, pruned a couple low level branches, and headed for home. Those branches would be woven together to make our first Christmas wreath. It hung on our kitchen door by morning, as I made coffee and M fed the baby. We had nothing to unwrap, no presents to exchange, and didn't even have a tree. But that morning we had everything we could ever want.
Pipe cleaner trees have filled the void of Christmas greenery in the intervening years for us. And it's been fine. This year though, I needed to feel and smell a real tree. Maybe for memory sake, I don't know. I could've picked a more perfect tree though. M liked it, the gangly young Lab barked her approval, so it seemed a steal for $35. I tell you what though, if someone was in business making fake trees like this one, they'd go out of business pretty darned quick. At home M said "Move it right there, with the flat sparse side against the wall." I asked "Which one?" She said "That wall, there." I said "No. WHICH flat sparse side?" This tree will be fine once there's ornaments and tinsel filling all the gaps. We'll make do.

Last edited:
Great stories, Odyssey.

We've warmed up to normal temps (little below freezing for highs) after our early cold snap and even managed to melt off about half the snow we got, which wasn't much. I could almost be happy in winter if it was mostly like today. Upper 20's, sunshine, very little snow on the ground and, most importantly, no wind. Besides getting out to paddle I like to just walk. Through the woods or through the prairie I don't care, I just enjoy walking and enjoying nature. Sometimes I'll jog and sometimes I'll take hills hard but mostly I just walk and relax. I don't like to be bundled up in snow pants and coats and I don't like to be burdened with snow shoes. I like to travel light and easy. I used to think I liked snowshoeing until one winter we had near record snow falls and anytime I wanted to get out for a walk I HAD to wear snow shoes. That's when I realized I only liked snowshoeing when it was a novelty once or twice a year after a big snowfall. I don't want it all the time.

So today I got to enjoy walking with regular hiking shoes and no snow pants or heavy coats. It's the shotgun opener for deer which meant the only real option was the local state park, but that's ok because I hadn't been there in a long time. Gave it a good hike this morning and then went out again after lunch with my dad's grandson Evan, who I built the canoe for a few months ago, for some exploring. Taught him how the walk on the frozen creek and how to tell if the ice is thick or thin and why in some places the ice is higher than the rest of the frozen creek and why in other places it's lower. We climbed to one of the highest spots in the park (this is Iowa so that's not saying much) where there's a neat climbing tree that's been there since I was a kid (I'm not very old so that's not saying much either). We just sat there soaking up the sun and listened to bird and squirrel calls while he played with my binoculars and mostly ignored me while I told him some of the history of the park and how this little oasis of woodland trees in the middle of the prairie came to exist. Winter days like this are all right.

Alan

Very nice stories! Well guys, I don't want you to get tree envy, but we go big or go home, so to speak, Twelve feet high balsam, this year's is pretty good. My wife is a decorating machine, and many ladders are involved with the process.

Wow. That's a whole lotta tree lov'n there memaquay. Mine's just a baby balsam. I could fit a 12 footer in my front room no problem, as long it was laying down. Your tree decorator really knows her stuff. Beautiful. I envy your tree. I just don't envy you getting it back in it's box again. (Hah ha)

Mem, that's allot of pressure to perform year after year. If you start slacking in the Christmas tree department she might leave you for a guy with a taller tree.

Ha ha, no worries, last year's tree wasn't up to normal standards, and she was still good. I am gonna buy her a 12 foot step ladder for christmas next year.

Good point. I need a more comfortable setup for doing that. After all, that's what I do all evening at home if I don't have a project to work on. As it is now I'm either using the vehicle's dome light or a headlamp, neither of which are ideal.

I have another 3 weeks of living in the back of the truck. Cold weather, early dusk living, so I was retiring to my bed by 7pm and reading for a few hours before going to sleep. Fortunately I was parked near a friend’s extensive natural history library and was going through a book every couple of days.

Even more fortunately I was parked near a 110V receptacle and could run a nice bright light instead of the weaker battery eating lantern. High on my list of continuing tripping truck improvements is some portable/rechargeable 110V power source to run a reading light. And a fan.

I usually run a fan at home for “white noise” and doing so in the truck would be helpful when parked near neighbors. Obviously it would be a help in hot weather. But running a fan also proved beneficial when sleeping under the cap in cold weather – having a bit of air circulation largely eliminated condensation issues.

A portable rechargeable 110V power source is high on my list. I’ll let you know what I come up with

What about an 110v inverter connected to a 12v battery booster pack? You could charge it via the cigarette lighter while driving and you'd have it there in case you ever needed a jump.

Alan

Memaquay,
Three cheers for tent parties. I took down the wall tent a few days ago because we had winds of 90 mph in the valley and 147 mph in the mountains. It will go back up after New Years. Tent parties in winter are one of the best things outdoor people can do.

Once the Holidays are over thoughts will turn to a trip to Death Valley, maybe an early spring solo lake trip over in the Sierra foothills. Our reservoirs look pretty bad right now but the weather patterns have shifted and we are keeping our fingers crossed.

The off-season trips continue to have more appeal. Places that are crowded in summer are completely deserted. We have some good winter fishing around here. Topaz Lake opens on Jan 1. Tahoe and Pyramid never freeze. Recently some friends caught some 12-20 pound Lahontan Cutthroat Trout at Pyramid Lake. I don't like ice in the guides of the fishing rod, but those are the conditions when the big fish cruise near shore. It is a bad time to be in a boat. We have had some rescues and few fatalities in the last couple of weeks.

Back