• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Second canoe

NEED ADVISE!!

today I was doing rough sanding for epoxy and I heard big POP sound and here is what happened... Those strips detached because it have been dry here and moisture did drop..

I think I would just sand inside and glass it and then sand this flat and reglass? Do you guys have better ideas?

Edit: this one is about 20cm long

49879111572_07b7abf1c0.jpg
2020-05-10_06-16-29 by artturi hautamaki, on Flickr

I agree with your intentions for repairs !

Just where on the hull did this happen ? Was this an area that may have been a little over sanded ?

It appears the wood flexed at a seam, maybe from pressure, or just being to thin.

Did you bead and cove the strips ? If not, that is probably the problem ! Not enough glue in the joint to hold the strips together.

Bead and cove the next one if you can !

I've only built one canoe with Polyester resin, but I have pulled the outside glass off two and reglassed using Epoxy.

I feel Polyester is a waste of time and materials, when you take into account the labor and cost of materials.

Good Luck !

Jim

I agree with your intentions for repairs !

Just where on the hull did this happen ? Was this an area that may have been a little over sanded ?

It appears the wood flexed at a seam, maybe from pressure, or just being to thin.

Did you bead and cove the strips ? If not, that is probably the problem ! Not enough glue in the joint to hold the strips together.

Bead and cove the next one if you can !

I've only built one canoe with Polyester resin, but I have pulled the outside glass off two and reglassed using Epoxy.

I feel Polyester is a waste of time and materials, when you take into account the labor and cost of materials.

Good Luck !

Jim

For this one I'm using epoxy.
There was no bead and cove and I was foolish and removed form under that point... So it did flex and opened...
It may been oversanded, there is two layers of 4oz glass at that point.

Glassing inside was lot harder than outside. Got lot of wrinkles on glass, luckily those are small.

Last week temps have been rising here in Finland and my canoe didn't quite like it.. U shape which it had got more like W shape. I sprayed 3 liters water it and got it back to shape. Then I waited couple hours till wood was dry and applied epoxy. It worked well and I don't think it got sealed still being too moist.

Next step is attaching gunnels (this time with epoxy!!), but should I wait epoxy to fully cure before sanding place for gunnels? Also, Is epoxy thickened with wood flour enough, or do I need first spread unthickened epoxy to gunnels and hull, and then thickened epoxy?

IMG_20200525_120513 by artturi hautamaki, on Flickr
Inside glassed

IMG_20200525_170015 by artturi hautamaki, on Flickr
Feathering edges with scraper

IMG_20200525_170020 by artturi hautamaki, on Flickr

IMG_20200525_111932 by artturi hautamaki, on Flickr
Paddle. Greyalder and poplar. 500 grams

Woah! Two years have passed by since last updating this thread!! Time really flies..
This new forum is very good and clear. I like this one even more than old one.

This second canoe (I didn't name it yet) was in good use last summer. Many trips both solo and tandem.
We got a baby at the end of summer and have been busy these last months. Now it seems to ease bit and time to update this build thread.

So, I didn't have enough clamps for attaching gunnels and made these wooden clamps. (these was very fast to make)

I made the gunnels a bit short and flushed the ends after gunnels were glued. Decks were glued top of gunnels.

Clamps in use.

I did not have many photos from making the seat. It is some cheap mahogany (or fake mahogany??) Very light wood. I think the density is same as in poplar or cedar. Seats front and back piece are curved with same radius and laminated from 4 pieces. I didn't moisten or steam them, just D3 wood glue and pressed those in mold together.
Cord is some thin paracord and color was crimson red if I remember correctly. I wanted to make seats from olive green cord, but my wife suggested this crimson red. I'm happy to admit that my wife have better ability to fit colors together (<- I know there must be some sort of saying or proverb about that but can't find it anywhere)

Here is canoe bottom after 3? layers of varnish (epiphanes clear)

Here is the finished canoe (actually, there is couple drill holes which need to be sealed with varnish....)
Canoe came out between 20 and 25kg I havent actually weighted it, But A lot lighter than NWC (over 80 pounds).

Size comparison (North west cruiser)

And couple trip photos:

Loaded up:

Sorry for pic heavy post.. There is more pictures in Flickr.

Hautamak

Back