• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Searching for the New Jersey Devil on Batso River

Reaction score
Few of us went out this past weekend paddling and spent the night out in search of the Jersey Devil. The Batso River runs within the NJ Pine Barrens ( we were about 30 min away from Philadelphia I was told). There are many historical areas that you paddle past including Hampton Furnace and other areas. It's a meandering stream with twists and turns for 7-8 miles then opens up a bit. It took us about 3 hours to paddle to the campsite that was about 4 miles away. Next day was about 8 miles to take out. There were many low branches that you had to "limbo" under and I was praying that I didn't catch my nose on the thick branches. We did have to get out one time to climb over a branch but we were able to slide the boats under it. Because of the recent rain the water level was high and a slight current.

There is another river that runs parallel to the Batso and that's the Mullica. But it's amazing how the vegetation is so much different. The Batso is lined with cedar trees for most of the way, where as the Mullica has the sandy dunes along the way, weird.

My friend took his new inflatable boat which does work for those living in the city area and can't house a canoe or kayak. It gets folded up and stays in his car trunk. Other friend took his Blue Hole 17ft and I used the Old Town Camper I picked up from Robin a few years back. First time I was soloing it. I used a bent blade for most of the first day working on my slow turns, worked great. The second day I had to use the double blade because the wind was kicking my arse at the take out which is a widened lake.

Since I am missing ice out hot tenting up in the ADK's I decided to bring my set up on this trip. Also wanted to see what works for future trips. All had a good time, we had Easter and Passover food and no one was hungry, a bit thirsty but that was my fault. Next time I need to bring a mesh bag to keep our beverages cold in the river and not float or sink away.

We hope to continue the tradition of going out to the NJ Pine Barrens and paddling the waterways out there in search of the NJ Devil!

Hope to get pics up soon.

Attachments

• photo6676.JPG
    photo6676.JPG
    928.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6677.jpg
    photo6677.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6678.jpg
    photo6678.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6679.jpg
    photo6679.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6680.jpg
    photo6680.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6681.jpg
    photo6681.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 1
I don't know about the devil, but to me it looked like you guys were loaded for bear :)

j/k of course. Its always good to exercise your gear and fine tune things while figuring out what works and what doesn't, what you need and what you don't. Been doing that for 50 years now and still ain't figured it out. ;)

Now I know there's a separate place for trip reports too!

Those pictures actually demonstrate Coldfeet's idea of traveling light. He's the only paddler I know who takes 90+ pounds of gear for one night. I'm anticipating him trying to find a way to add a trailer hitch or roof rack for his canoe.

I sometimes join the Hackensack Canoe Club in search of the Joisey Debbil on Halloween. We bring spears and candles and do dances to ward the Debbil off. Only once has he eaten all our food.

I commend you on paddling in low water... And to have an inflatable survive is excellent.. Sometimes kayakers try in the upper sections of the Batsto.. and succeed in filling their craft and showering themselves with leaves and branches. Pine Barrens provide an excellent exercise in boat control and precise placement.. One of the FreeStyle symposia is held on the Mullica or the upper Batsto.

Coldfeet - Great report and love the photos. Glad you all had a good time. If you consider going down that way again, I'd be interested if the timing works out. I've always been interested in paddling the Pine Barrens' rivers and camping in that area; although I hear the ticks can be horrendous.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

My experience in the last few years is no ticks either camping on the rivers or Atsion which is a great campground.
But we didn't wander the woods nor crash into trees. And it was October which could be different

Back