• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Score!!

Reaction score
I score that CCS Lean 3 in "new" condition for $40 canadian!! I believe it is an older model, it doesn't have the sod cloth( easy fix) or the rock pads or the screen front, but I think these will be easily added for a yearly cheap!!

Attachments

• photo6745.jpg
    photo6745.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6746.jpg
    photo6746.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6747.jpg
    photo6747.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 0
For $40 I’d have bought that thing and learned how to sew.

See Alan’s retrofitted tie downs and etc for DIY ideas (in some trip thread)

I love those leans, and what a price! I'm looking forward to seeing your modifications.
BTW, who are you and what have you done with my buddy Canotrouge? Your photos are all in order?

Wow, what a deal!

They used to be offered with and without the bug screen. Now I believe it's standard. The rock flaps aren't standard but I had Dan add mine since it was already in his possession when I bought it as a blem.

Have fun with the new shelter!

Alan, IIRC you added (or had sewing mom add) some additional guy points to your shelter.

Anything else you found/would have found beneficial?

I love those leans, and what a price! I'm looking forward to seeing your modifications.
BTW, who are you and what have you done with my buddy Canotrouge? Your photos are all in order?

Hahahahaha. they are not in F%@*?#! order lol.

Alan, IIRC you added (or had sewing mom add) some additional guy points to your shelter.

Good point Mike thank you for asking Alan for that!

I would love to make a full mesh inner and tub floor to keep the critters out and make it our summer tent!!
Maybe more work than I can handle!!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I had my mom sew in a quad loop to the center of the awning. This lets you secure a pole to the inside and provides a webbing loop on the outside, just like on the center of the main shelter. I only used it once as a tie out (when heavy winds were blowing directly into the opening) but it sure was nice to have when I needed it.

The picture doesn't quite show what's going but there's a constant 20mph wind gusting to the low-30's blowing directly into the opening. It was higher than that in the middle of the night when I had to get up to rig this. It blew hard for about 12 hours. The added tie out loop came in handy to reinforce the awning that's pulled down low to block the entrance. Rock flaps were a near necessity on this site as there was no soil and no other suitable tie outs. The other option would have been tying off to the loose rocks. This was the only possible tent location on the very small island. Even trying to turn it 180 degrees to re-rig after the wind switched direction would have been difficult because of rock and tree placement....not to mention the wind.

20160904_412 by Alan, on Flickr

I liked having the separate floor. In dry weather on dry ground I didn't even bother to put it down. Or if I had wet/dirty feet I could only partially lay out the ground cloth so my feet didn't get it dirty or abrade it with sand. A solid floor would cut down on drafts but would also prevent you from stringing it up more like a tarp for a higher shelter to sit under. Often I'd put rocks or sticks under the bottom edge of the shelter to lift it a little for better ventilation. Never had a problem with critters but I suppose some areas are worse than others and I had Sadie inside so maybe that persuaded them to stay out.

Rather than a separate mesh inner (I'm assuming to keep condensation from dripping on you?) I've wondered what would happen to condensation inside the Lean if you strung another tarp over the top at night, assuming you had one along anyway.

Poles aren't necessary to set it up but I found I got a lot tighter and more constant pitch by using them. I'd just use site cut dead spruce trees as my pole. 5' tall is the magic number...which is about the height of my adam's apple.

I think it's also a near necessity to tie out that row of rear loops 1/4 of the way up the back wall to keep it from sagging. It's easy enough to find a stick for the task:

20160809_129 by Alan, on Flickr

Also pull out the center tie down loop at the back of the tarp (where it meets the ground) and anchor it tight to keep it from sagging on your sleeping bag during the night. The stick in the picture above can perform this task as well. Just invert the stick to the pointy end is down. Pull the bottom edge tight and put the pointy end of the stick through the tie out loop and jam it into the ground before tying off the lines.

Seam seal the crap out of the quad loop and surrounding stitching. Mine would annoyingly drip on me after long steady rains. I only seam sealed the outside seam, later learning you're supposed to do inside and out on the quad loop. Had the same issue with my tarp. A rag tied to the quad loop had enough capacity to absorb the water without dripping.

Alan

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I had my mom sew in a quad loop to the center of the awning. This lets you secure a pole to the inside and provides a webbing loop on the outside, just like on the center of the main shelter. I only used it once as a tie out (when heavy winds were blowing directly into the opening) but it sure was nice to have when I needed it.

The picture doesn't quite show what's going but there's a constant 20mph wind gusting to the low-30's blowing directly into the opening. It was higher than that in the middle of the night when I had to get up to rig this. It blew hard for about 12 hours. The added tie out loop came in handy to reinforce the awning that's pulled down low to block the entrance. Rock flaps were a near necessity on this site as there was no soil and no other suitable tie outs. The other option would have been tying off to the loose rocks. This was the only possible tent location on the very small island. Even trying to turn it 180 degrees to re-rig after the wind switched direction would have been difficult because of rock and tree placement....not to mention the wind.

20160904_412 by Alan, on Flickr

I liked having the separate floor. In dry weather on dry ground I didn't even bother to put it down. Or if I had wet/dirty feet I could only partially lay out the ground cloth so my feet didn't get it dirty or abrade it with sand. A solid floor would cut down on drafts but would also prevent you from stringing it up more like a tarp for a higher shelter to sit under. Often I'd put rocks or sticks under the bottom edge of the shelter to lift it a little for better ventilation. Never had a problem with critters but I suppose some areas are worse than others and I had Sadie inside so maybe that persuaded them to stay out.

Rather than a separate mesh inner (I'm assuming to keep condensation from dripping on you?) I've wondered what would happen to condensation inside the Lean if you strung another tarp over the top at night, assuming you had one along anyway.

Poles aren't necessary to set it up but I found I got a lot tighter and more constant pitch by using them. I'd just use site cut dead spruce trees as my pole. 5' tall is the magic number...which is about the height of my adam's apple.

I think it's also a near necessity to tie out that row of rear loops 1/4 of the way up the back wall to keep it from sagging. It's easy enough to find a stick for the task:

20160809_129 by Alan, on Flickr

Also pull out the center tie down loop at the back of the tarp (where it meets the ground) and anchor it tight to keep it from sagging on your sleeping bag during the night. The stick in the picture above can perform this task as well. Just invert the stick to the pointy end is down. Pull the bottom edge tight and put the pointy end of the stick through the tie out loop and jam it into the ground before tying off the lines.

Seam seal the crap out of the quad loop and surrounding stitching. Mine would annoyingly drip on me after long steady rains. I only seam sealed the outside seam, later learning you're supposed to do inside and out on the quad loop. Had the same issue with my tarp. A rag tied to the quad loop had enough capacity to absorb the water without dripping.

Alan

That is awesome Alan, thank you for taking the time to write al that!! I will play with it and see what I need to do and what I don't need to do!! But a few things for sure will be sod cloth all around, and a patch and loop on the front panel like you did!!

And it is a lean II, I just went and had a look at it and it is not 10 feet across! Still a good deal and enough room to sleep the 3 of us!!!

Sweet! You'll make good use of it for sure! The quad loop is a pretty simple addition. Cliff Jacobson has instructions in one of his books...

Jason

Back