• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Rowing the Beast

Reaction score
Evening everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge with the rowing rigs made for aluminum canoes, in my case a Grumman 17' standard.

I put motors on it for fishing and such but have always liked rowing - feels good for my ageing back - and would like to look at rowing solo on some cold weather base-camp trips. Easier to troll too.

I have been looking at units like this (https://wisementrading.com/product/grumman-canoe-accessories/). Any feedback on these types, other types, or any other info on different setups would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I actually have a Grumman rowing rig that clamps onto the gunwales. I need a better set of oarlocks, though, because the oars keep jumping out of the U. Other than that, it moves the boat very fast.

About 15 year ago I bought a great big 18' Grumman from an estate auction that came on a homemade trailer and had a 1.5 hp Johnson motor, partial sailing rig and a rowing rig similar to this one:

1632838488962.png

I didn't row it much but when I did it would sure move right along considering how big and heavy the canoe was and how much stuff you could carry in it. In retrospect, and as I have once again become active as a BSA/Scouts USA leader, I should have kept the beast and trailer. There's time I could use a truly big canoe that I won't cringe over when it gets a few dings.

Lance

I follow Ellen and her past expeditions she has used a 20' Grumman and in that canoe I believe she uses a Piantedosi Row Wing rig.

Back