• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Rolling truck rack

Reaction score
I usually have the top with Thule racks on my truck, but I have been moving a fair amount of stuff this summer (lumber, wood working equipment, etc.) and have enjoyed having it off. It feels more like a truck.

I needed a simple rack for the trip next week up to Paul Smith’s WCHA assembly and a trip later this fall. Both will be solo. I was able to scrounge scraps so it isn’t the prettiest, but it is functional. A 8’ 4x4 cut in half for uprights, 4’ 2x6 cut in half for feet, 4’ 2x4 for a cross member, a 4’ black pipe, a couple flanges, a section of PVC, and a 1” section of pipe insulation. Fasteners of course too.

The other end of the canoe sits on the cab with foam pieces. It is a 6’ bed so I can roll it forward and rest the end on the cab myself with a rubber mat placed on top to elevate any scratches. Hop up into the bed and place it where I want it for the ride.

Something similar may have been posted before, but I thought it may give someone and idea that needs a rack.

3071D605-E4F0-45AD-8AE6-2D39D1E14994.jpeg
D66EDDF2-70ED-4710-AED7-3BF9041D05A5.jpeg

Great idea. Simple and effective. I've got a hard bed cover on my bed that raises up from the tailgate. I've thought about bolting a home made aluminum rack on top of it. I get tired of messing with the trailer.

I’ve always been leery of set ups where one rack is on the truck bed and one on the cab. On my Tacomas, I could clearly see the bed twisting slightly with respect to the cab on uneven surfaces. This is most evident when backing up and looking out the rear window. I could see the bed change orientation from the cab. So, my concern is when the truck twisted, there would be wear on the gunwales and rack. However, it must be no big deal, since a lot of folks carry boats on cab and bed mounted racks.

I like the PVC on pipe roller. I’ve been loading boats from behind my van and sliding them forward. That roller set up would make it easier. Thanks for posting.

A couple cam straps or rope through two of these below. One on each side of the hood. Lots of different makers and prices.

8BA2DD18-027A-432F-88E8-F8259ACFC8AB.jpeg

That's what I was thinking. I was wondering if that would ride ok. Thought maybe a person would have to have a rack on the roof to tie it to? Thank you.
Roy

Back