• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Rollin Thurlow's Atkinson Traveler

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rollin Thurlow Atkinson Traveler.jpg

". . . Becky Mason has paddled a Traveler. Becky, the daughter of legendary paddler and filmmaker Bill Mason, . . . holds the Traveler’s capacity in high regard: 'You just load those babies up and they take any weight possible. You get elegance—it’s so superbly designed. You get speed—it’s like a dart through the water. And you get maneuverability—it spins on a dime. You can do a beautiful canoe dance or swerve and miss a rock or back it up if you don’t like what you see. When it’s empty it handles like a little acorn on the water.'

“'They’re works of art,' says Becky. 'There’s an unexplainable quality. You can recognize a Rollin Thurlow canoe, just as you can a Leonardo da Vinci or a Van Gogh.'"

If I was younger and had the money I would just buy one.
Interesting paddle technique by some talented paddlers.

@Patrick Corry has recently acquired a form to build the Atkinson Traveler and is in the process of getting ready to build his first, as documented in this thread:

Reading Becky's and Garrets descriptions I would have thought they were describing my Seliga. The only difference is, I don't think the Seliga would do as well at poling Maines rocky rivers, due to its rounder bottom and not as shallow draft.

My friend has one that was built up here in Ak. from yellow ceder. It's a real nice boat.

Reading Becky's and Garrets descriptions I would have thought they were describing my Seliga. The only difference is, I don't think the Seliga would do as well at poling Maines rocky rivers, due to its rounder bottom and not as shallow draft.

My friend has one that was built up here in Ak. from yellow ceder. It's a real nice boat.
I first paddled Rollin's Traveler on a canoe trip with Garret and Alexandra Conover. It was delightful along with the 18 foot White Guides. When I sold my 17 foot Chestnut Prospector (92 lbs) I built an Atkinson Traveler to replace it in Rollin's shop with my daughter, Alice. Although I have several other canoes, the Atkinson Traveler is my favorite canoe to paddle. Although now days I need help to carry it and put it on my car, it is still my favorite canoe to paddle.

Mark Z.

Yellow cedar is a preferred boat building material in the Northwest. The Alaska fishermen used to bring back yellow cedar logs on their way back to Seattle at the end of the fishing season. It is easy to work and excellent for making repairs in the old wooden fishing fleet at Fishermen's Terminal.

Mark Z, I paddled an OT Guide 18 for 30 years. If I had it to do over again, I would want a canoe resume like yours.

I first paddled Rollin's Traveler on a canoe trip with Garret and Alexandra Conover.

Mark, I believe you have "Maine guide" paddles with secondary grips as were made by the Conovers. Do you paddle using the secondary grip technique as Rollin and his partner are doing in the OP picture?

Mark, I believe you have "Maine guide" paddles with secondary grips as were made by the Conovers. Do you paddle using the secondary grip technique as Rollin and his partner are doing in the OP picture?
Yes, Glenn, I do paddle with the secondary grip as shown by Rollin. I was taught that method by Alexandra as the Northwoods Style of paddling. I believe she was taught that style by her mentor, Mick Fahey. I find it more comfortable as it puts less stress on the wrist. It also allows me to change how much paddle I put in the water. I can use the same paddle in the bow or the stern, sitting or standing. I still use the paddle Alexandra made for me many years ago.

Yes, Glenn, I do paddle with the secondary grip as shown by Rollin. I was taught that method by Alexandra as the Northwoods Style of paddling. I believe she was taught that style by her mentor, Mick Fahey. I find it more comfortable as it puts less stress on the wrist. It also allows me to change how much paddle I put in the water. I can use the same paddle in the bow or the stern, sitting or standing. I still use the paddle Alexandra made for me many years ago.
I own a cabin that Mick Fahey used to own back in the 1960s and 1970s... I also have an old canoe of his

Back