• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Restored Mad River Courier

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Finally finished with my Mad River Courier restoration. Just a before and after pic. Unfortunately the after pic was taken in the dark but you can tell how pretty she looks. I haven't had time to do a nice coat of 303 yet but that will come soon.

Attachments

• photo1796.jpg
    photo1796.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 8
  • photo1797.jpg
    photo1797.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 7
Kris - your Courier somehow escaped my camera lens yesterday. I should have been lagging back with you and JJ instead of hob-nobbing with the folks ahead. ;)

That is a real nice restoration! The photos don't do it justice.

Looks great idahokris!

I paddle a courier as well...I'd love to know some details of what you did, especially hull wise. If you've got a moment.
Thanks!

Looks sweet! I have two now. My first had 120 holes and a massive crack to fix/patch hence the nickname the Colander! One of my all time favorite boats. Hard to find these boats so I consider myself lucky to have one! The second I picked up last fall and still need to so work on it, new gunwales and skid plates! I think this is one of the best WW boats made...just my opinion. Would love to read about and see pics of the restoration. Am currently working on rehabbing my second Mad River Malecite, another wonderful hull.

Steve - Don't worry you will get plenty of chances this summer. :)

Shanks - I hate to say it but we didn't really do anything to special. I ordered it in 8' lengths from a local shop. A couple of scarf joints and teak oil later ta da. I've done absolutely nothing to the hull so far. Here in the next few days it will get a nice coat 303 and that's it.

Doug - I lucked out this hull was in perfect condition minus a little oxidization so the only thing we did is replace the wood. I've heard it was a great WW boat but this one will never see about a super easy 2. I've never been able to paddle a Malacite, perhaps I will steal Steve's one of these days. ;)

Kris,
Nice work on the courier! I have a few MRC wood trimmed hulls; its nice to see another one, especially an older one, ready for the water. Your pix didn't show the decking. I'm curious, what did you do for decks? (In original MRC catalogs from the early 90s, Courier decks were a sheet of royalex. Later ones were butternut.) Regardless, great job!

Doug - Now that is a heck of a restoration job! Looks great.

Dan - Couldn't tell what mine where originally but made the new ones from ash.

Does anyone know when the Courier was discontinued? I've heard anything from the early 90s to the mid 90s. I was originally told this boat was from 95 but it seems it might be older than that because of what I have found info wise. Normally I would look at the serial number but this boat was only marked demo and does not have a serial number any where.

Kris,
I have several Mad River Canoe catalogs from the 1990s. The Courier is shown in the 1994 catalog. The Guide, (the Courier's successor) is shown as "new" in the 1995 catalog. The Courier is not shown in the 1995 catalog. I suppose that's a pretty good indication.

No Title

A picture of the full canoe in light.

Attachments

• photo1824.jpg
    photo1824.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 7
Thanks!

Its been on the water twice now. Once was for a last minute over night camping trip. Both times it handled extremely well.

Back