• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Resin Infusion

The thing I like most about this infusion, is the simple application of the resin.

This seems like a very expensive route ! With so much material being disposed of.
I'd like to see ratios of comparison between hand lay up, and the infusion process. In weight and strength !

Thanks for posting Dave !

VERY interesting !

Jim

Thanks for posting that, Dave. Neat stuff.

I think resin infusion is fascinating and I'd love to try it but it seems like a lot of work figuring out tube placement and amount of resin needed when each boat is a one off. And any failure would be disastrous since you didn't just waste the cloth in a mold but also the mold (stripper) itself. I really like the idea of placing the cloth dry so that you aren't working with a ticking clock or sticky fingers and then not adding the resin until you know everything is in the proper position and that the bag is sealed tight.

Nick seems to have it figured out though and the results look great. I'm he glad posts videos of stuff like that.

Alan

Kerry King of Surge Marine on Wesport Island, Maine, has been making sea kayaks via resin infusion since the early '90's. I got mine in 1996. My custom hull is infused carbon fiber with gold flecks mixed into a clear gel coat. The deck is infused Kevlar. It's 17'-2" long and weighs 36 pounds. You can stand and jump on the deck it is so strong.

Several canoe manufacturers now use resin infusion, including Placid and Swift. Perhaps Lincoln Canoe in Maine was the first.

My personal opinion is that very experienced hand laminators such as Dave Curtis can come close to matching an infused canoe hull's resin weight. However, infused gunwales and thwarts add an additional weight saving versus wood or aluminum trim.

When my wife saw a canoe infused at Colden canoe,she made the great comment"it looks like blood flowing through a body"
Turtle

Back