• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Replace and Repairing Skid Plates

Reaction score
Got an old royalex Mad River Duck Hunter 17', original front skid plate has started to come off. Foam core is exposed on the outside. Have chiseled away at the loose stuff. About 70% of the skid plate is still intact. Purchased Kevlar material from Sweet Composites and have 2 different epoxy’s. Would like to know if my current game plan is sound.

1. Use gflex 655 to fill in the crack.
2. Use gflex 650 in conjunction with Kevlar (cut appropriately) to cover the damage from tip to where the existing skid plate is still good.

One big question I have in this plan is not removing the portion of the skid plate that’s still firmly attached and how to do this or should I take the time to chisel away at the whole thing and start completely over?

Part 2 to this post is the back skid plate which was recently redone has a puncture but not all the way through. Looking for thoughts on what to do here as well.

Thank you.

Attachments

• photo11624.jpg
    photo11624.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11625.jpg
    photo11625.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 0
Got an old royalex Mad River Duck Hunter 17', original front skid plate has started to come off. Foam core is exposed on the outside. Have chiseled away at the loose stuff. About 70% of the skid plate is still intact. Purchased Kevlar material from Sweet Composites and have 2 different epoxy’s. Would like to know if my current game plan is sound.

1. Use gflex 655 to fill in the crack.
2. Use gflex 650 in conjunction with Kevlar (cut appropriately) to cover the damage from tip to where the existing skid plate is still good.

Sounds good to me. You could just thicken the 650. Probably going to need the 16 oz tubes unless you mix it with some regular West epoxy.

As much as I dislike kevlar felt that is the only material that will fill and patch and look much the same. I would use some peel ply over the epoxied felt to help smooth/level out the old to new on the missing half.

The only other “repair” I would undertake is added a bead of thickened epoxy “fill” along the flat raised edge of the old skid plates to bevel that transition out at an angle. That beveled edge is less likely to catch an edge on a rock and bust off or lift. Compressing the peel ply along the edges of the replacement length will do that with the need to bead; just use a tongue depressor to smush down the ¼” of the perimeter all the way around

Part 2 to this post is the back skid plate which was recently redone has a puncture but not all the way through. Looking for thoughts on what to do here as well.

Same thing, especially the peel ply part so the “pot hole” patch is flush with the existing material.

One big question I have in this plan is not removing the portion of the skid plate that’s still firmly attached and how to do this or should I take the time to chisel away at the whole thing and start completely over?

Having seen the removal action on Doug’s ME and your Duck Hunter I’d say leave well enough alone, especially since the remaining surface is far from smooth the only thing that will work easily as replacement cloth is kevlar felt again.

And thanks, y’all just saved me a ton of work. A friend wanted me to try to remove the over-thick kev felt skid plates from his otherwise beautiful OT Appalachian. If I thought I could replace them with glass and Dynel I might try, but there is no point in taking off sound kevlar felt onto to install new kevlar felt.

Mike,

Thank you for the detailed response. This will be my first DIY attempt, last repair i did 2 six hour round trips to get it done by a pro. Decided can't keep doing that. The boat now seems to be needing repairs after every trip.. went many years without any problems until now.

Didn't know about the release fabric stuff until you mentioned it and then did an online search. Question, are there any common household items that could be used to accomplish the same thing? I've already got everything and would like to avoid waiting another week for more material... and to be honest my confidence that this will wind up "good" is not high. May wind up buying a new canoe after it's all over with. Just hate putting the old girl out to pasture after 25+ years of memories.

8trek, I am with Mike on the Peel Ply but before I ever heard of that I used waxed paper laid on the "fix" and smoothed out as many wrinkles as I could and then took masking tape and forced the waxed paper down to smooth it out as best I could. I fixed a lot of boats using that method. I tried Saran Wrap once but it had some wrinkles in it that I just couldn't get out, not a fan. As long as you don't mind a small wrinkle in the skid plate, it's in the water and not in eye sight it should work.

dougd

I with Doug on the wax paper. Use 3” wide strips laid across the kevlar and epoxy; if you try to use a full length piece of wax paper it will wrinkle and crinkle on the compound curves and leave a nasty surface underneath.

Years ago I tried an experiment using four different kinds of kitchen plastic wrap; Saran Wrap, Cling Wrap and a couple others. Two of them didn’t release and I don’t remember which ones.

I am in the midst of adding a bead of thickened epoxy to the tall, abrupt edges of the kevlar felt skid plate on the Appalachian. Canoe clamped on its side, painting a bead of thickened G/flex along the perimeter edge so it is more / than |.

One side at a time; with the canoe held on its side the vertical edge of the old skid plate makes a good dam for the bead of thickened epoxy.

Last edited:
Thanks again gentlemen. I've gone ahead and filled in the cracks and dent with 655. Weather permitting will go onto next step tomorrow. Further questions...

1. Is there a general guide as to how much resin to mix up (in my case g/flex 650 - the 2 4oz bottle kit) based on the amount of material you're using? I believe i was told by West Systems this kit i have is good for 2 "normal" skid plates. I'm kinda applying a half skid plate in this scenario. Just don't want to waste or not have enough.

2. To achieve a more tapered edge is it okay to just sand the edges once the skid plate has dried? I'm a little concerned about the transition where the old skid plate will be under the new and the amount of tall edge that i'm assuming will be there when it's all said and done. Maybe i should have rather taken a Dremel and cut a straight edge on the old skid plate and put the new one butt up against it?

Attachments

• photo11637.jpg
    photo11637.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11636.jpg
    photo11636.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
1. Is there a general guide as to how much resin to mix up (in my case g/flex 650 - the 2 4oz bottle kit) based on the amount of material you're using? I believe i was told by West Systems this kit i have is good for 2 "normal" skid plates. I'm kinda applying a half skid plate in this scenario. Just don't want to waste or not have enough.

My “16oz tubes” was based on removing the half gone one and laying new felt, and maybe topcoating the other skid plate after the pothole had been patched.

I guess 8 oz should do it, although I wonder if West System understood this was for kevlar felt, which is a very thirsty material. Plus I take it you already have both the 655 and 650.

It will help lessen the viscosity if the epoxy is warm, or at least not cold, and it will brush on/through the fabric easier. I tape the perimeter, lay a (thick) coat of epoxy in the box, lay the fabric and then topfill with epoxy.

2. To achieve a more tapered edge is it okay to just sand the edges once the skid plate has dried? I'm a little concerned about the transition where the old skid plate will be under the new and the amount of tall edge that i'm assuming will be there when it's all said and done. Maybe i should have rather taken a Dremel and cut a straight edge on the old skid plate and put the new one butt up against it?

I would not lap the new felt over the old, but instead lay a precut piece of felt a couple inches overlong in place dry fit, use a sharpie to trace out the jagged break and cut that end to match. Kevlar felt is quite stretchy, and you should be able to drag the wet felt into puzzle place. If there is a crevice at the break after the wax paper comes off infill it with thickened epoxy

Especially if that is the stern skid plate, where the overlapped edge would be facing forward and more likely to catch a rock.

On the new felt if you tongue depressor ¼” along the sides with the wax paper in place you shouldn’t need to do much else to those edges.

Sanding the tall, existing edge on the old skid plate will tricky. The existing felt/epoxy itself is tough, and it’s hard to avoid sanding into the hull past the edge. I carefully RO 60 grit sanded as near the edges as I dared on the Appalachian, but needed to use a file to knock down some really tall edges and urethane drips.

The bead of thicken G/flex did a decent job of beveling out that transition edge.

Time to mix some epoxy myself.

EDIT: Before I forget, it will be easier to properly align the kevlar felt inside the tape box if you draw a centerline up the new piece of material.

Edit to the edit: I finished topcoating the two existing skid plates on the Appalachian using straight G/flex with graphite powder. Admittedly laid on near 10% by volume thickened with graphite powder, but I estimate I used 2oz of G/flex just to topcoat those non-thirsty existing skid plates.

The good part is that the graphite powder thickened top coat isn’t dripping down the tape and mask nearly as badly as regular epoxy, or even a 50/50 mix of West 105/206 and G/flex

Edit to the Edit X3: Keep compressing the edge of the felt under the wax paper as the epoxy sets up to achieve an firm, held compressed angled/beveled edge. Walk back with tongue depressor in hand every half hour until the epoxy firms up. Don’t even need gloves, and it only takes a few well-worth it seconds.

Edit to the ad nauseum. If you plan to top coat it with anything, varnish, paint, even another coat of epoxy, scrub the bejesus out of it first. Nothing sticks to wax paper residue.

Last edited:
I would not lap the new felt over the old, but instead lay a precut piece of felt a couple inches overlong in place dry fit, use a sharpie to trace out the jagged break and cut that end to match. Kevlar felt is quite stretchy, and you should be able to drag the wet felt into puzzle place. If there is a crevice at the break after the wax paper comes off infill it with thickened epoxy

Do you think it would be better to cut the end of the old skid plate straight across rather than the jagged edge? Unfortunately i've already glued up to it but guess i could cut and reapply prior to putting the skids on.

Back