• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Recommendation for outfitter in Whitehorse

Reaction score
I’m planning on resuscitating my Upper Liard trip that was scheduled for 2020.

I will need to rent a canoe and get flown in from Whitehorse to Caribou Lake. And figure out a way back. I wasn’t real happy with the one I was working with in 2020.

Anyone have a recommendation?

I'll definitely second the recommendation for Kanoepeople. They went out of their way to accomodate us when we needed space and assistance and parts to reconfigure and outfit a borrowed canoe for the Y1K and YRQ races, multiple times.

UP North is the only other one I know of that most people deal with.

Last edited:
I've bought canoes and dealt with Kanoe People several times as well as sending others there for canoe help. The McDougalls were top notch in all instances. The young people working there were very knowledgeable and hard working. I hope to see them in June if this Covid thing doesn't stop us. This is the worst winter I've endured in 52 years of Alaska and I'm anxious to get on the river.

We used Kanoe People on our Porcupine River Trip for shuttle. We mailed a ton of gear (including folding canoes) ahead of time and they happily received and stored them for us. BTW, if you mail, drive across the border and mail it from Canada. Best to have a conversation with Customs in person than to have to try to get back the giant tariff they might whack you with.

We used Kanoe People and were very satisfied with the shuttle to Johnsons Crossing on the Teslin and the drop off arrangements in Dawson City. They of course do a myriad of drop off points for people going through Lake Laberge.
I have heard good things about Up North too. I think you have a selection based on your needs.

Glenn you must have his contact info as the owner of this site. Try to reach out to him. Let him know that the former administration has been replaced. Let him know also that his posts and personality sorely missed. He is a favorite poster of mine as well. Miss his knowledgeable thoughts and his excellent craftsman projects.

Last edited:
I did email Canotrouge back in September (along with almost 400 other members) to notify him of the change of software platforms and ownership, using the email address he originally registered under, but got no response. I suppose I could try again.

Back