• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Rebuild of a Kevlar Sailing Explorer

Reaction score
So Ol' Hal the Gullboy finds a treasure, an 83' Kevlar Explorer set up for sailing, with the sail, the mast step, the rudder and leeboards for short cash and some beer. If I stated the price you'd be jealous, like me, and mad as heck that Hal got it! Now here's the messed up kind of thing with boat repairs. Ol' Hal can do and does Gel Coat repairs but not me. He doesn't do much resin work but I do! Now if I said this boat was pristine I'd be lying and it needs resin work as well as skid plates. So here's the write up:

http://scooter-bangortoportland.blogspot.com/2016/03/kevlar-mad-river-rehab.html

Am hoping for some warmer weather to finish this off.

dougd

Nice job on the seat webbing, but I have to say you need to re-web that bow seat for a matching set. It will be a nice canoe when finished.

What is your web cutting trick? Do you flip your seats before installing webbing on a previously cained seat? I do, I just use a belt sander on the old cane and spline, then flip her over and web it.

I have a lightly used Royalex Explorer hull up in the loft, a red one so it's pretty fast also.

Enjoyed reading about your shop time.

Last edited:
Robin, We didn't have enough to redo both seats which is a bummer but typical. I always flip my seat over when I reweb them and like you hit the bottom with a sander. For cutting the web I use a propane torch and putty knife. Just heat up the knife and melt/burn webbing to desired length, quick, clean and easy!

So Ol' Hal the Gullboy finds a treasure, an 83' Kevlar Explorer set up for sailing, with the sail, the mast step, the rudder and leeboards for short cash and some beer. If I stated the price you'd be jealous, like me, and mad as heck that Hal got it!

You New England boys are killing me with your used boat finds. If I don’t find a quality used canoe to rebuild soon I’m afraid I’ll have a mental breakdown and end up rebuilding a Coleman.

I like the seat webbing color and contrast. Certainly nicer than the seat I rewebbed for our friend Tom; he didn’t specify a choice in webbing color, so I made him a nice tartan pattern using hot pink and fuchsia webbing*. If his arse covered the seat it wouldn’t be as unsightly, but he’s usually standing and poling.

*Where does one find hot pink and fuchsia webbing? American Science and Surplus, the freakiest treasure trove of oddities ever. Have a look; I defy anyone to wander through that catalog and not find something tempting.

http://www.sciplus.com/

I’ll hazard a guess that the awful snot the original owner gooped on the worn stems is some kind of construction adhesive.

A sadly educated guess. The interior floor of one early rebuild was a frayed mess and I decided the KISS solution was to cover the area in front of the seat by installing a large cushioned floor. I glued in foam sleeping pad, using Hard as Nails construction adhesive. It was a big pad, so I used an entire caulk tube of construction adhesive. Ummm, maybe two.

Let me count the ways that was a mistake. The Hard as Nails didn’t hold the foam worth a dang, and on one early trip with that boat I heard a flappityflappityflappity on the roof racks, followed by silence as a foam sleeping pad appeared airborne in my rearview mirror.

That was bad, but what was worse was the residue left by the Hard as Nails; a thousand needle sharp stucco points. Picture a hull floor something like this, but with a wee spike covering every inch:

https://www.google.com/search?q=iro...ei=bSzwVrf6DIKFmQGsn4BA#imgrc=NVf3hZcJ8LekbM:

BTW, Hard as Nails is well named. I resorted to 80-grit belt sander to remove that stucco residue mistake.

I made more than my share of mistakes on the first canoe rebuild and outfitting projects. That one wasn’t even the most regrettable. I enjoy the learning process and the mistakes all taught great lessons. I remember them vividly enough not to repeat them. Usually.

Doug, next time maybe remember to hammer down the staples in the webbing ends before installing the seat.

Could have been worse. I heard a story about a guy who rehabbed an asymmetrical canoe and managed to swap ends.

Conversations with DougD

Ringggggggg. Ringggggggg.

“Hey Doug”

“Frickenfrackenbrackenracken” (sound something falling off the bench)

“Cutting out a giant Dynel skid plate that reaches nearly to the deck plate?”

“Murblegurbleburble”, (sound of beer can opening)

“Yeah, just make it in two pieces”

“Gurbleburblewurble. . . . wfffff”, (sound of Bic lighter)

“And make sure to cut it on the bias this time”

(Indistinguishable coughing sounds)

Later. . . . . . .

Ringggggggg. Ringggggggg.

“Hey Doug”

“Squirreblejerbilmerbil” (chugging sounds, interspersed with cursing)

“Yeah, I told you a week ago, order more release treated peel ply”

“Fubblemubblegrubble” (suspicious inhalation)

“No dammit, you should have ordered the release treated stuff before you needed it”

“Frickenfrackenbrackenracken” (sound of gentle sobbing)

I swear that boy just don’t listen.

Nice photos of the process Doug. Love the looks of that bandaged canoe atop Matt’s car. And a good way to use up the last of that awful green pull peel ply. If I included a piece of rope that long in the “DougD’s too-short scarp rope bag” it was a mistake. Regards to Hal.

What was it you needed to order?

Well now, that was the boat falling out of the cradles, not ME falling out of the chair! That was Ginger Ale I was cracking open on every occasion, the old stand by of Liquid Courage is reserved for... OK, next Bias? Me? Really? And YES, I will order release Peel Ply...probably about the same time I get my taxes done. Yeah, I got plenty o' time, kinda like Christmas shopping!

I do need to mention that Hal is quite happy with the skid plates and the one that he let cure on the way home came out fine. There were some markings from the wrap we used to protect it for the ride home but as he said, I can live with it!

Back