• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

Ranger Canoe Co.

Reaction score
Never heard of them before but one has caught my eye on Craigslist. Not a ton of info on the web either. Their website only lists one model but did they used to have more? I've been looking for something to trip for 5-7 days with in a the Adirondacks but won't be timid on a river(nothing over class 2) Just wondering if it's worth the ride. FWIW I've been leaning towards a Penobscot 16rx after looking at a Sundowner 17 and an Adirondack. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo6521.jpg
    photo6521.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6522.jpg
    photo6522.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1
They are made in NH they sell them new all the time on craigslist for 1500 they are not super light I know someone who has one and he likes it and paddles it solo all the time

I have one I'm working on now, it had some damage amidships where the thinner sides met the reinforced floor. Repairs look good and it's next for new ash gunnels. Looks like it will be a real nice canoe when done.
Is that a repair in the first picture? In the first pic it looks like aluminum gunnels but in the second looks like wood.

Doesn't look like a repair, I think the gunwales are aluminum judging from the other pics on the ad. Is the Otter the only model Ranger ever made then? This one is the only one I've seen (of about 6 mind you) with both a thwart and a yoke. Looks like it has the diamond shaped Kevlar layup on the hull as well.

Spoke to the owner, he says it's 15-20 years old and maybe the kev/fiberglass hull. The Ranger site lists the 4in waterline width at almost 36 inches, almost on par with the Adirondack, way wider that the Penobscot at 33in. Only an inch shorter than a Penobscot and 5-7 lbs lighter, depth at midship is only 1/2 inch less than the OT but the Other will haul a ton more. I would love to look at this boat if it was warm and I could take the bike, but it would take 2 tanks of gas to look at something that's been living outside for a while.

As I mentioned I owned 2 of them. I think they are right up there with the MR Explorer, shallow V, 36" at the gunwales. Both the hulls I had had only one thwart in it, one had a carry thwart the other just a straight thwart. The seats and carry handles stiffened up the rest. Both of the hulls I had were water rescues, both breached which I fixed. If it's in Kev I'd go for it. Rails are pretty straight forward to replace. As I recall most of the Otters came with vinyl gunwales. If they are in bad shape replace with wood. From experience vinyl gunwales are hard to find, for me local, and are expensive. It's a real nice hull IMO. Might be worth the drive.

dougd

As I mentioned I owned 2 of them. I think they are right up there with the MR Explorer, shallow V, 36" at the gunwales. Both the hulls I had had only one thwart in it, one had a carry thwart the other just a straight thwart. The seats and carry handles stiffened up the rest. Both of the hulls I had were water rescues, both breached which I fixed. If it's in Kev I'd go for it. Rails are pretty straight forward to replace. As I recall most of the Otters came with vinyl gunwales. If they are in bad shape replace with wood. From experience vinyl gunwales are hard to find, for me local, and are expensive. It's a real nice hull IMO. Might be worth the drive.

dougd
By any chance do you have any pics, would like to see a few more for perspective.

He has someone looking at it tomorrow, so I may not get the chance to see it, but we'll figure d out tomorrow night I guess.

Rats, it's been sold...I just sold my canoe today as well, so as of now I'm down to just my solo. Good news is I'm flush with cash for a new(ish) tandem, may end up with a Penobscot rx if nothing glorious pops up by next weekend, may look at a Sawyer 190 Cruiser, but it's a tad small...

Last edited:
Too bad you missed it. I had one here for a while (older fiberglass version) that I picked up for my brother. Compared it with the fiberglass Malecite that I had at the time, and considered it very close to same in performance, although not in quality. Quality was decent enough though.

Back