• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Rain please!

Karin, I would send you some rain if I could figure out how to box it. We have been having very wet afternoon thunderstorms almost every evening for what seems like weeks now. I guess that is a blessing, since our usual dry thunderstorms are the most common cause of our local wildfires. (BTW - what's with all the man-caused fires?)

Mike - I want to hear more about your college room mate. ;)

Karin and Christy. If I could box Reykjavik rain (almost non stop for a month ) I would
New Brunswick was in flood three weeks ago. Now fire bans in effect so take heart it will change
except for Reykjavik

Mike - I want to hear more about your college room mate. ;)

Steve, that was unclear; my nieces college roommate Loandra paddled bow in the Sockeye. Between the two of them they had a total of 4 hours on one training run behind them. In that boat or any other boat.

That training run was memorable. A small group of Duckhead racers did a practice day on the upper Conowingo Pool. Including a difficult attainment up a narrows. Laura and Loandra pulled into an eddy half way up at the fastest part and friend Dave, a very accomplished canoeist paddling behind them, shouted advice as he powered past. OK, this part may be tricky, hit it hard here and carve to the glub-glub-glub.

He went over in a heartbeat, discharging a yardsale of runaway gear. Laura and Loandra looked at me with an expression of speechless wonder, and I assured them they did not want to do that.

You do not even want to get me started on my history of roommates. From ages 16 to 29 I was renting unfinished basements and attics, unheated rooms in decrepit mansions, oddball rooming houses and one 12 foot wide 2 story row house that we stuffed 5 people and 2 large German shepherds into.

I have stayed in touch with most of my roomies from those years. For some reason many of them were struggling musicians or artists, weird but worth knowing.

Except the Iranian students. 1978/79 was an interesting time to have four Iranian roommates named Mohammad, Mohammad, Mohammad and Cirrus (Sear-uss)

Cirrus was a decent fellow; I have wondered how his return to revolutionary Iran turned out 40 years later.

Mohammad, Mohammad and Mohammad were dicks, and I never knew who the dang phone was for.

Fear not. We have rain. Lots of it. The gardens are doing well and my tripping radar is twitching big time.

Christy

We went from 6 weeks without any rain to deluges which have flooded farmers fields. Even had a severe thunderstorm Wednesday night derail an inter-modal train, approximately 36 containers headed west destroyed.

205 fires, 188 human caused so far. Why? Well, after a long Winter people get back out into the country and either forgot how to put out a campfire or don't care to. Many of the human caused have been along roads, so likely cigarette butts tossed out windows and perhaps dropped in the bush.

A few years back on the Labour Day long weekend. Christy and I were at a provincial park and there to Tuesday. We got back from fishing and most campers had left for home and we found two sites with fires still roaring away in the fire pits. Took a bit to douse them and we did inform the park staff. Ignorance is bliss.

Back