• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

Quite an assortment of solo canoes for sale. Some great trippers

You KNOW Paul and haven't been to Paul's shop!
It's not like we're buddies (altho not something I would object to). I 1st met him @ paddlefest and have bumped into him a time or two in Colden. Have actually seen him more in Old Forge area than around home. Looks like I'm going to have to make the looonnnggg trip. Problem is, I'll want to buy something!

Last edited:
Wait till lake effect snow comes into play and bring shovel

Paul posted some pix last year of buried shop

It's a shop not a showroom

Tell him to cut you a deal or you'll expose him for having a shop in Boston not Colden.

Tell him to cut you a deal or you'll expose him for having a shop in Boston not Colden.

This is an interesting misconception. That builders of high end canoes are flush.( same would go for CCS). Not only does Paul have a real world job, he cannot afford to build himself a personal Colden Canoe. All the money in the business stays in the business. He builds limited numbers of boats. Personal preference

His personal boat is a stripper he made himself.

Call ahead. He might be at work at the other job.

I have heard the same sort of story a hundred times( you arent the only one:) . And I wasn't at Lows Lake

Its like the lawnmower sharpening man. His house is usually in the middle of a hayfield.

I know you weren't at LL for the conversation about Paul and as part of a small business that build unique items out of wine barrel parts, I know how hard it is to sell your product to a limited, specialized market.

I'm a retired custodian, my house is....???????

Well no.. Paul just goes to some events and people that are interested come to him.. He has never wanted mass production and his business model is set so a dozen boats a year is fine. Salesman he is not.

preserving and reviving the classics is a mission, not a money maker for paul. I can't wait to get the Nomad I have ordered from him. I heard Tom McKenzie once said "if you build solo canoes you have to sleep on the cutting table or live in a tree".

Turtle that is a great saying from Tom.. Charlie helped Paul start Colden and of course they are friends.. They do help each other out.. Paul was one of the carpenters who built the ramp so that Charlie ( who lives in a boathouse) would not have to walk down 52 stairs and up 26 to bring wood and groceries in . ( now its down to 26 stairs down and a level ramp)

That sort of stuff that friends do for each other.

Think I remember Harry Roberts saying if he won a million dollars he would build canoes until it was all gone. Obvious implication being that it is not a profitable endeavor. And that was when he was working with Sawyer....a full time canoe builder back in the day. Small custom shops like Paul (Colden) are the saviors of the specialized canoe business and as passionate paddlers we should all treat them as such.

I really like the looks of the used lady bug. Does anyone have any knowledge re: this canoe ? Am I too fat for this one @ 200 lbs ? I know thi was a while ago but does he still make them ?

I really like the looks of the used lady bug. Does anyone have any knowledge re: this canoe ? Am I too fat for this one @ 200 lbs ? I know thi was a while ago but does he still make them ?

LB is sized for smaller to medium sized paddlers. Weight is less a concern than height. Lady Bug is no longer made. They will all be from the 80's or so.. And its a bit short small for a tripper

Back